Start Routing with Omni-Channel
- Create a service channel and routing configuration.
- Associate a routing configuration with a queue.
- Create a presence configuration and presence status.
- Add Omni-Channel to the console.
- Route your first work record.
In order to start routing cases with Omni-Channel, Maria needs to set up a few more things behind the scenes. She has to create a queue for her routing configuration, set presence status for users, and then make a console app and add Omni-Channel to it. Here’s how she does that.
- Link Your Routing Configuration to a Queue
With her routing configuration all set, Maria needs a queue to link to it. Note: If you are following along in your Trailhead Playground, you need to complete the guided setup flow in the Understand Queue-based Routing unit first before you can complete the following steps.
- From Setup, enter Users in the Quick Find box, then select Queues.
- Click Edit next to High-Priority Cases.
- Under Supported Objects, select Case in the Available Objects, and click Add to move it to the Selected Objects.
- Under Queue Members, in Search, select Public Groups and select All Internal Users in the Available Members list, then click Add to move it to Selected Users.
- Under Queue Members, in Search, select Users, and add yourself to Selected Members too.
- Click Save.
The guided Omni-Channel setup flow that you completed in unit 2 created a presence status. Here’s how to make that presence status available to you and your users.
- From Setup, enter Usersin the Quick Find box, then select Profiles.
- Click the name of the profile you want to enable Omni-Channel for. Maria starts with System Administrator.
- Hover over Enabled Service Presence Status Access and click Edit.
- Select Available - Case in the Available Service Presence Status, and click Add to move it to the Selected Service Presence Status.
- Click Save.
- Repeat for any other profiles you want to use with Omni-Channel, for example, the Custom: Support Profile or the Standard User profile.
At this point, you normally create your presence configurations. If you’re following along in your Trailhead Playground, we already created a default presence configuration for you, so you don’t need to set one up. The presence configuration determines settings such as capacity for your agents, and you can assign specific users or profiles to each configuration you create. This is great for granting different options and abilities to different agents by team or experience level.
Now that Maria has created all the Omni-Channel objects she needs, she can add Omni-Channel to a console app.
- Add Omni-Channel to a Console
- From Setup, enter App Manager in the Quick Find box and select App Manager.
- Click New Lightning App.
- Name the app Omni-Channel Console and click Next.
- Select Console navigation and Service Setup, click Next.
- Click Add Utility Item.
- Select Omni-Channel and click Next.
- Add Accounts, App Launcher, Cases, and Contacts as navigation items by selecting them and clicking the right arrow.
- Click Next to skip image selection.
- Cick Subtabs of and select Parent Account (Account) to make Cases and Contacts open as subtabs of the Account.
- Click Next.
- Assign this app to profiles by moving Custom: Support Profile, Standard User, and System Administrator to Selected Profiles
- Click Save & Finish.
Done! Maria’s ready to test out all her hard work.
Maria routes a case to check that Omni-Channel is working as she expected.
- Go to the App Launcher and select Omni-Channel Console.
- Click the navigation arrow and select Cases.
- Click New.
- Select the Priority High.
- Select the Case Origin Web.
- Enter the Subject: Website is down.
- Enter any description you want.
- Click Save.
- From the App Launcher, select Omni-Channel Console.
- From the console, click Omni-Channel in the console footer to open the Omni-Channel widget. Set your status to Available - Case.
- Go to the Cases tab and change the list view to All Open Cases using the dropdown arrow next to Recently Viewed.
- Select the checkbox next to the case you created and click Change Owner.
- Select Queues from the down arrow, and use the lookup to select High-Priority Cases.
- Click Submit.
- You get a notification in the Omni-Channel widget. Go ahead and accept it by clicking the checkmark; the case opens in a tab in your console. Leave this tab open. It comes in handy later.
Congratulations! Everything looks great. You’re ready to route cases with Omni-Channel.