Sign Up for an Tableau CRM-Enabled Developer Edition Org
In this project, you’ll:
- Set up a new Tableau CRM-enabled Developer Edition org.
- Use the Advanced Editor to build Salesforce Object Query Language (SOQL) queries and bindings.
- Build a dynamic Top-N filter.
- Create a dashboard greeting for logged in users.
Set Up Your Environment
In this project, you get hands-on with Tableau CRM. You sign up for your own Tableau CRM-enabled Developer Edition org, upload sample data, then build a templated dashboard. Then you create simple, yet powerful bindings using the Advanced Editor to write SOQL code.
If this is your first time writing SOQL, that’s OK. We help you along the way. And if you’re familiar with SOQL, you can use this as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the advanced tools that Tableau CRM has to offer.
Sign Up for a New Tableau CRM Developer Org
For this project, an existing Developer Edition org or a Trailhead Playground will not work. Follow the steps below to get a Tableau CRM–enabled Developer Edition that comes with a limited Tableau CRM Platform license and the sample data required for this project.
If you already have a Tableau CRM–enabled Developer Edition org, you should still sign up for a new one. This ensures you get the latest and greatest features, and that your experience matches the steps we outline in this project.
- Go to https://developer.salesforce.com/promotions/orgs/analytics-de
- Fill out the form.
- For Email, enter an active email address. We recommend the one associated with your Trailhead account.
- For Username, enter a username that looks like an email address and is unique. It doesn’t need to be a valid email account. For example, your username can be firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can enter your company name.
- After you fill out the form, click Sign me up. A confirmation message appears asking you to check your email.
- When you receive the activation email, open it and click Verify Account.
- Set your password and challenge question, and click Change Password. Make sure to save your username and password, as you need them to connect the org to Trailhead.
You’re now logged in to your new Salesforce org with Tableau CRM enabled and all the necessary permissions.
Connect Your New Org to Trailhead
- Make sure you’re logged in to your Trailhead account.
- In the Challenge section at the bottom of this page, click on the current selected org.
- Select Connect Org.
- On the login screen, enter the username and password for the Developer Edition you just set up and click Log In.
- At the Allow Access? screen, click Allow.
- At the Want to connect this org for hands-on challenges? screen, click Yes! Save it. You are redirected back to the challenge page and ready to use your new Developer Edition to earn this badge.
Create a Dataset
Next, modify a CSV file, then upload it as a dataset into your org.
Prep the Data File
- Download the ACE Opportunities.csv file.
- Use an editor to open the file.
- Replace all instances of Laura Garza, found in the Account Owner and Opportunity Owner fields, with your name.
- Save the csv file. Depending on your editor, saving may attempt to change the file format. Ensure the name of the file is
ACEOpportunities, and it’s saved as a csv file.
Upload the File
Let’s organize our work by creating an app.
- Open your Developer Edition org. If you see the Welcome to Lightning Experience window, go ahead and close it.
- Click the App Launcher , then find and select Analytics Studio. Analytics Studio opens in a new tab. If Analytics Studio doesn’t open, check to see if your popup blocker is on. If so, change the setting to allow popups from your org.
- On the Analytics Studio Home page, click Create and select App.
- Click Create Blank App | Continue.
ACEin the name field, then click Create. You’re taken to the new ACE app.
- In the ACE app, click Create and select Dataset.
- Click CSV File.
- Click Select a file or drag it here.
- Navigate to the CSV file that you edited, select it, and then click Open. If the file is within dragging distance, you can drag it into the Select a file or drag it here box instead, and save yourself a few seconds.
- Click Next.
- Keep the default settings. Click Next.
- Click Upload File on the Field Attributes page. Tableau CRM uploads the data and gives you a view of the progress as it creates the dataset.
- Click the Close button while the upload works in the background.
Great! You have your environment, it’s connected to Trailhead, and you have the data set. You’re ready to go. Move on to the next step to set up your dashboard.
- Tableau CRM: Tableau CRM Learning Map
- Salesforce Help: Explore Data and Take Action with Tableau CRM
- Salesforce Help: Tableau CRM Glossary
Copyright Rights of ALBERT EINSTEIN are used with permission of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Represented exclusively by Greenlight.