Set Up Opportunity Alerts in Slack
In this step, you use both your connected Trailhead Playground and Slack workspace. Make sure you have both ready.
The call with the SVP went well and things are looking up for the account. As you use Slack to communicate with your team, you want to configure alerts to customize what notifications you receive about the deal.
Let’s see how it works.
There are two types of Salesforce alerts you can configure in Slack.
- My alerts: Notifications you receive from Salesforce when records are assigned to you.
- Channel alerts: Notifications of record- or object-level changes sent to a specific channel.
Head back to your Slack workspace.
Manage My Alerts
By default, you receive a notification when Salesforce records are assigned to you. Time to manage your notifications to ensure that you’re in the know on all things that are important for your job.
- Click Apps in the left sidebar.
- Search for and select Salesforce to open the app.
- Ensure you’re on the Home tab.
- Then click the Setup My Alerts button.
- Go ahead and uncheck the box next to Case and then click Submit. You’re not on the services team, so no need to receive case alerts while you’re focused on coordinating your meetings for the logistics company.
- You should get a message saying Subscription(s) saved successfully. After that, click Done.
Over the next few weeks, you work with your team in channel to set up a few more meetings and lead the discovery. As the sale progresses, the team is notified of every major milestone in Slack. Thanks to your team’s close coordination, the meetings are a success, and the opportunity moves to the next stage.
Now that the logistics company opportunity is well on its way to close, you want to follow up on an opportunity for another account, and stay notified of each stage as it progresses. This is a great time to use a record-level alert.
Set Record-Level Alerts in Slack
Set up alerts for a specific opportunity, United Oil Office Portable Generators.
- Click the # opportunities channel.
/salesforcein the message field, and click to send the message. This opens an alert setup prompt.
- Click the dropdown menu next to Record alerts for your channel and enter
united oil office. This takes you right to the opportunity you want to track.
- Click United Oil Office Portable Generators to open up the alert options for that opportunity.
- You want to ensure you’re aware of stage changes and when calls are made. So check the boxes next to Stage Changed and Logged a Call.
- Then click Submit.
- You get a message in Slack, Subscription(s) saved successfully. Go ahead and click Done.
See Record-Level Alerts in Action
It’s now time to see the alert in action. Head over to your connected Trailhead Playground. Once again, thanks to your close collaboration with your team, the deal closes quickly.
- In your Trailhead Playground, click to open the App Launcher.
- Search for and find Sales.
- Click Opportunities.
- Toggle the All Opportunities list view.
- Find and click on the United Oil Office Portable Generators opportunity record.
- Click Mark Stage as Complete, then select Closed Won from the dropdown.
- Then click Save.
Now see the alert in Slack.
- Click the # opportunities channel.
- The Salesforce App has notified the channel of the stage change. But there’s more. Click the View Record button.
- You drill down to see the opportunity details, including the amount and that the opportunity was set to Closed Won.
- Send a message. The customer is so excited, they already want to partner with you on another project. Enter this in the composer and send it to the team:
Congrats team, job well done! Let’s set up a meeting next week. There’s more work on the horizon.
Set Object-Level Alerts in Slack
You also have the option to set object-level alerts. These are great for staying informed about changes across the entire organization.
Based on your hard work, you get promoted to manage the entire sales team. You now want to set up an alert to notify the team whenever any opportunity is won.
- From your desktop, open the # opportunities channel.
/salesforcein the message field and click to send the message. This opens an alert setup prompt.
- Click the dropdown menu next to Object alerts for your channel and select Opportunities.
- Click Opportunity Won, then click Save.
- You receive a Subscription(s) saved successfully message. Click Done.
These types of alerts make most sense for smaller teams and use cases like communicating a win across your entire organization to help build morale.
Great job! You’ve learned how to search and share records and configure alerts so that everyone on your team stays in the know and on track. Next, let’s dive into using the integration to send messages, and how to disconnect your account if you need to.
We won’t check any of your setup. Click Verify Step to proceed to the next step in the project.