Explore Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Explain how Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising can accelerate a nonprofit’s use of Tableau.
- Use Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising to get a jumpstart on analyzing your data.
Bring Your Nonprofit Cloud Data into Tableau for Analysis
Salesforce.org’s Nonprofit Cloud is a platform that helps nonprofits unify their fundraising, program management, and marketing data to deliver exceptional stakeholder experiences and drive impact. Connecting Nonprofit Cloud to Tableau allows you to easily surface that data for deeper exploration, analysis, and sharing. Together, the two tools create an end-to-end impact platform.
Once you’ve started a trial or have purchased Tableau, you can use the Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising to pull in data from Salesforce.org’s Nonprofit Cloud and start looking for trends. If you aren’t yet using Nonprofit Cloud, check out the links in the Resource section for more information on getting started with Tableau.
Ready to get started? Pick your path depending on whether you are using Tableau Online or Tableau Desktop. (Don't try to follow these steps in your Trailhead Playground, these instructions are only for Tableau Online or Tableau Desktop.)
Open Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising in Tableau Online
If you are using Tableau Online, access Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising by following these steps.
- Go to the Tableau Online login page at https://online.tableau.com/. Enter your username and password.
- On the home page, scroll down until you see a section titled “Dashboard Starters.” If you did not land on your home page, click the Home () button on the left side. Click See All on the right side of the section.
- On the Starters page, filter Data Sources to Salesforce.
- Scroll down until you see the Nonprofit Fundraising starter. Click on the image to open a popup.
- Click on the Sign in to Salesforce button and enter your Salesforce login credentials. You can use any type of Salesforce org, including a developer org, sandbox, or production org to connect to Tableau.
Once your data is connected, you are ready to start exploring.
Open Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising in Tableau Desktop
If you are using Tableau Desktop, then you will need to download Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising and then connect your data source by following these steps:
- Navigate to https://www.tableau.com/products/dashboard-starters-downloads in your web browser and scroll down until you see Salesforce Starters.
- Click the Download Now button.
- After the download is complete, unzip the file, open the folder, and double click the Tableau Dashboards for Nonprofit Fundraising file to open it in Tableau Desktop.
When the dashboard first opens, you will see a sample dataset. To view your own data, you will need to connect to the appropriate data source.
- At the bottom left-hand corner of the workspace, click the Data Source tab.
- A dialog box will appear prompting you to enter your Salesforce credentials. Enter the username and password of the Salesforce org you want to connect and click Log In. Click Allow to allow Tableau to access your Salesforce data.
- Tableau Desktop will then create an extract of your data. This can take a few minutes depending on the amount of data you are bringing into Tableau. Click the tabs at the bottom of the Tableau workspace to start exploring.
If any worksheets appear blank, navigate to the worksheet and replace reference fields by right-clicking on the fields with red exclamation marks as necessary.
Find a Data Guide with Tableau Service Corps
Tableau Foundation supports a network of Tableau volunteers called the Tableau Service Corps, which is a group of Tableau experts eager to help any nonprofit, regardless of size, do more with their data.
Whether your organization is just getting started with Tableau, is stuck on a specific problem, or wants to upgrade your teams’ visualization skills, you can find a volunteer to help on the Tableau Service Corps website, linked in the Resources section below.
Pairing the power of Nonprofit Cloud and Tableau helps your organization take full advantage of your data as a catalyst for improvement. This isn’t just a shift in technology, but a critical shift in culture that can take your impact to the next level.