Configure Pardot for the Salesforce-Pardot Connector
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Map Salesforce and Pardot custom fields.
- Connect Salesforce usernames to Pardot users.
- Set up Salesforce Pardot single sign-on.
- Import Salesforce leads and contacts into Pardot.
- Add Pardot to the Salesforce mobile app.
Map Salesforce and Pardot Custom Fields
You’ve already installed the Pardot AppExchange package, the Salesforce connector, and configured Salesforce. Your next step is to map Salesforce custom fields to Pardot custom fields so they sync back and forth. Before you get started, take a look at this list of mapping considerations. All set? Good. Now, let’s look at how to map those custom fields.
- In Pardot, open the custom field you would like to map for editing.
- From the Salesforce Field Name dropdown, choose the field you want to map.
- Optionally enable Keep this field’s type and possible values in sync with the CRM. This setting syncs field setting changes from Salesforce to Pardot.
- Optionally Edit sync behavior.
Repeat these steps for each custom field you want to sync.
Great! You’ve now successfully mapped a custom prospect field in Pardot to the corresponding field in Salesforce. If you’re using custom account or opportunity fields in Pardot, you can map those too by following the same process.
To learn more about bidirectional sync behavior, check out the Syncing Prospect Field Values with Salesforce article.
Map Salesforce Usernames to Pardot Users
There are two ways to sync your users: automatically or manually. Salesforce User Sync, the automated option, streamlines managing your users with access to both Salesforce and Pardot by mapping their Salesforce profile to their Pardot user roles. Additionally, you can manage most synced user fields from Salesforce, eliminating the need to update user records in both systems. Before syncing users automatically, there are a few things to consider. Let’s first look at how to automate syncing before we talk about syncing manually.
Here’s how to enable Salesforce User Sync.
- Click Pardot Settings tab in the Lightning app.
- Select User Management | Users.
- Click Enable Salesforce User Sync.
- Map Salesforce profiles to Pardot user roles. All Salesforce users with the selected profiles are synced to the assigned Pardot role.
- Confirm the settings.
We recommend that you leave that the following settings enabled:
- Skip Salesforce users whose email address matches an existing Pardot-only user.
- Update Pardot user role when a user's Salesforce profile changes.
- Move Pardot user to the recycle bin when they no longer have an assigned profile.
- When finished mapping profiles, click Enable Salesforce User Sync.
Users usually sync within 15 minutes but accounts with thousands of users could take up to an hour.
So now that you’ve learned how to automatically sync users, let’s look at how to sync them manually. First, set up single sign-on (SSO) for your users. SSO lets them seamlessly transition between Salesforce and Pardot. To enable SSO, you first need to map the Pardot and Salesforce users. So let’s first set up SSO for our users, and then map them manually.
- Click Pardot Settings tab in the Lightning app, and then select User Management | Users.
- Select the users for whom you want to enable SSO.
- Select Enable single sign-on with CRM from the dropdown under the table.
Now let’s map those users. Make sure to check that you’ve already created your Pardot users before trying to map them.
- Open the Pardot user record for editing.
- From the CRM Username dropdown, select the Salesforce user.
- Save the user.
- Click verify now in the CRM Username line of the user record.
Repeat these steps for each user you want to map.
Test the Salesforce-Pardot Connector
After you set up the Salesforce-Pardot connector, test it to make sure that the connector syncs as expected. If your Pardot account does not allow multiple prospects with the same email address, test using this example.
For a new Pardot prospect with an existing salesforce record:
- Create a prospect record in Pardot that matches a lead or record in your CRM.
- To check whether the record syncs, click Sync with CRM, or wait 10–15 minutes to see if the connector initiates the sync.
For more sync-testing examples, see the Resources section.
If you have accounts that allow multiple prospects with the same email address, you can test those one of two ways.
- Assign prospects in Pardot: Create a prospect in Pardot, and assign the prospect to a user. Check to see whether the record is created in Salesforce.
- Create a record in Salesforce— Wait for the record to sync, or manually sync by clicking Send to Pardot. Check to see whether the record is created in Pardot.
Import Salesforce Leads and Contacts into Pardot
Once you’ve connected Salesforce and Pardot, you can import your existing leads and contacts into Pardot. As a safety feature, the connector doesn’t automatically create prospects in Pardot from existing Salesforce leads and contacts; you must import them first. You only need to do this once to establish your initial sync. Once the initial import finishes, Pardot syncs the new prospect record with the existing Salesforce lead or contact record and any future updates sync automatically.
Here’s how to run that initial import.
- In Pardot, navigate to Admin | Import | Prospects.
- Drag the CSV file from your computer to the upload window, or click + Upload File.
- Check the required Compliance field to verify that you have read Pardot’s Permission Based Marketing Policy.
- Click Next to load the CSV file into Pardot.
Wow, we’ve covered a lot in this module! You’ve mapped your Pardot fields to Salesforce fields, matched your Pardot user accounts to Salesforce user accounts, and enabled single-sign-on between the two platforms. You’re all set to have Pardot and Salesforce start working together for you.
- Pardot Site: Syncing Prospect Field Values with Salesforce
- Salesforce Help: Import and Map Pardot Users
- Trailhead: Get Started with the Salesforce Mobile App
- Trailhead: Salesforce Engage Basics
- Salesforce Help: Connect Pardot and Salesforce Users
- Salesforce Help: Map Salesforce and Pardot Custom Fields
- Salesforce Help: Considerations for Enabling Salesforce User Sync
- Salesforce Help: Update Profile and Role Mapping