Share Data Using an Account Relationship
Create Account-to-Account Business Relationships
Maria isn’t done setting up the business process needs for Ursa Major partners. She realizes that she needs more granular control over what information she’s sharing between partner accounts, and she decides to use Account Relationships to meet her business needs.
When to Use Account Relationships
Account relationships are great when you need to set up a business relationship between two of your partner accounts. Let’s say that you have a distributor who needs access to a subset of the customer accounts owned by his reseller so that he can effectively support them. Or you have a distributor who needs to collaborate with a reseller on specific deals.
Or maybe you were thinking of using Apex sharing for account-to-account sharing.
These examples are perfect for the Account Relationship feature.
Check Opportunity Data Visibility
Maria’s use case comes directly from Ursa Major’s channel account manager, Maya Pasqua. Maya wants Express Logistics and Transport partner users to see all the opportunities associated with the Pyramid Construction reseller account.
Before we solve for this use case, let’s do some groundwork to make sure that Pyramid Construction opportunities aren’t already visible to Express Logistics and Transport partner users.
To do that, we have to convert the Pyramid Construction account into a partner account and change the owner of the Pyramid Construction opportunity to a partner user on the account.
- From the App Launcher, select Accounts.
- Select the All Accounts list view.
- Click Pyramid Construction.
- Click the dropdown menu to see all the quick actions available for the page.
- Click Enable as Partner.
- In the confirmation dialog, select Enable As Partner.
- Click Pat Stumuller from the contact related list.
- From the dropdown menu, select Enable Partner User.
- Change the following in the New User detail page.
- Email: [Enter your email address so you can get login information for your newly created users.]
- Username: [unique username in an email format]
- User License: Partner Community
- Profile: Partner Community User The best practice here would be to clone the Customer Community User profile, and go through all the user permissions with a fine-toothed comb to ensure that all the settings are ones that you want.
- Role (if asked): Pyramid Construction Inc. Partner User
- Deselect Salesforce CRM Content User.
- Deselect Receive Salesforce CRM Content Email Alerts.
- Select the Generate new password and notify user immediately checkbox.
- Click Save.
- Navigate back to the Pyramid Construction account.
- Click the Pyramid Emergency Generators opportunity and click Change Owner from the dropdown.
- Change the owner from yourself to Pat Stumuller.
- Click Submit.
Now log in to the partner portal as Barbara Levy to see if you can see any Pyramid Construction opportunities.
- From the App Launcher, select Contacts.
- Select Barbara Levy.
- From the dropdown menu, select Log in to Community as User.
- In the portal, select Sales | Opportunities from the navigation menu.
Do you see any Pyramid Construction opportunities? You better not! If you remember, your opportunity external org-wide defaults are set to private, so you shouldn’t see any Pyramid Construction opportunities here.