Create a Customer Account Portal
Meet Ursa Major Solar
Ursa Major Solar, Inc., is a Southwest-based supplier of solar components and systems. It’s gone from being a local player to a regional one, and it recently opened a second sales and distribution center in a neighboring state. Competitively priced solar components are its bread and butter, but turnkey solar solutions are the fastest growing (and most profitable) part of its business.
Ever since it expanded into different markets, Ursa Major has been considering setting up a customer account portal so its customers can check the status of their orders and find information on their solar panels. The bigger it gets and the more clients it has, the more the need for a customer portal presents itself.
Maria, the Ursa Major system administrator, wants to create a customer account portal using Community Cloud to give customers all the information they need in one place.
Now, Maria starts setting up a customer account portal. Go ahead and take these steps in your Trailhead Playground.
- From Setup, enter Communities in the Quick Find box, then select Communities Settings.
- Select Enable communities.
- Enter a unique name for your Lightning Platform domain. Keep in mind that you can’t change your Lightning Platform domain name after you enable your community. If you set up more than one community, you can append the community name to the URL to differentiate between them.
- Click Check Availability to make sure the domain is available.
- Click Save, then OK.
Now that you’ve enabled communities, let’s set up a bare-bones customer account portal. You should have been redirected to the All Communities page in Setup, but if not, enter Communities in Quick Find, and select All Communities.
- Click New Community. The Community Creation wizard appears with different template options for you to choose from.
- Select the Customer Account Portal template.
- Click Get Started.
- Name the community Ursa Major Customer Account Portal and enter UrsaMajorPortal at the end of the URL.
- Click Create.
Your community is now in Preview status, which means that what you’ve created so far isn’t in the world yet. Take a quick look around. This is Experience Workspaces, and you'll be coming back here soon to customize and administer your community.
Create Customer Users
- Click and select Accounts, and choose the All Accounts list view.
- Click Grand Hotels & Resorts Ltd.
- Click Tim Barr from the Contacts related list.
- From the dropdown menu, select Enable Customer User.
- Change the following in the New User detail page:
- Email: [Enter your email address so you can get login information for your newly created users.]
- Username: [unique username in an email format]
- User License: Customer Community
- Profile: Customer Community User
- City: Chicago
- Select the Generate new password and notify user immediately checkbox. Click Save.
Note that you just changed the city to Chicago in Tim’s user object. This bit of knowledge is going to be handy in a little bit.
Now take the same steps with Edna Frank, a contact on the GenePoint account, but leave the city blank or enter a city different from Chicago.
Add the Community Profiles to Your Portal’s Membership
Now that you’ve created a basic customer account portal and enabled customer users, you’re ready to add the user profiles as members to your portal.
- From Setup, enter Communities in the Quick Find box, then select All Communities.
- Click Workspaces next to the Ursa Major portal.
- Click .
- To add members using profiles:
- Select the Customer Community User profile. (If you don’t see the profile, change the search to All.)
- Click Add.
- Click Save.
Once you publish and activate the portal (which we’ll do in a later step), you’ll receive automatically generated welcome emails to let you know you’ve been added to an active portal.