Install the Alexa Skills Kit Command Line Interface (ASK CLI)
In this step, you'll learn how to:
- Create an Amazon Developer account.
- Install and configure the Alexa Skills Kit Command Line Interface.
Go to the Amazon Developer Portal. In the top-right corner of the screen, click Sign In. You can use your existing Amazon.com account to sign in once you complete the additional registration steps that are needed for an Amazon Developer account. If you don't have or don't wish to use your existing Amazon.com account, you can create a new account for free.
Install Node.js version 4.5 or greater, which includes Node Package Manager (npm). You can find the latest versions on the Node.js download page.
- Use npm to install ASK CLI. Run the npm global install command into the ask-cli folder. If you get an error on this command, try restarting your command prompt or Terminal window, and then try again.
$ npm install -g ask-cli
- If you are using Linux, the installation can require
$ sudo npm install -g ask-cli
- The first time you use ASK CLI, you must call the
initcommand to initialize the tool with your Amazon developer account credentials. For more information, see init command.
$ ask init
- Answer the resulting prompts to create a new profile and choose a name. You can also use the default option by pressing Enter. Make sure to choose your default AWS profile that was set up in the previous step.
-------------------- Initialize CLI --------------------
Setting up ask profile: [default]
? Please choose one from the following AWS profiles for skill's Lambda function
(Use arrow keys)
skip AWS credential for ask-cli
- Your browser then opens so you can log in to your Amazon Developer account.
- Log in to your account.
- Click OKAY to allow the ASK CLI to use your Amazon Developer account.
- Close the browser window.
Once the initialization is complete, you can use ASK CLI to manage your skill.
We won't check any of your setup. Click Verify Step to proceed to the next step in the project.