Create a Custom Object for Reviews
In this project, you’ll:
- Create custom objects, site objects, and junction objects to make an existing app more efficient.
- Customize page layouts, create relationships, and add filters to give app users easy access to the information they need.
- Add custom fields to the app to capture information critical to the hiring process.
Since implementing Salesforce 6 months ago, AW Computing has been on an upward trajectory in sales and revenue. And with that comes the need to beef up the staff across a number of departments. Ling Wu, the vice president of human resources, has asked you to help her recruiting team more efficiently handle the hiring process.
In this project, you use your awesome admin skills to create custom objects, relationships, page layouts, and more, to give the HR team easy access to the data they need on their existing Recruiting app. Before you get hands-on, let’s install an unmanaged package in your Trailhead Playground. It will add metadata and customizations that make your hands-on work more realistic and meaningful.
First, scroll to the bottom of this page and click Launch to launch your Trailhead Playground. If you see a tab in your org labeled Install a Package, great! Follow the steps below.
If not, click to launch the App Launcher, then click Playground Starter and follow the steps. If you don’t see the Playground Starter app, copy this package installation link and check out Install a Package or App to Complete a Trailhead Challenge on Trailhead Help.
- Click the Install a Package tab
04t0P000000N9rsinto the field.
- Click Install.
- Select Install for Admins Only, then click Install.
When the package is finished installing, you see a confirmation page and get an email to the address associated with your playground.
Now that the package is in place and you have the Recruiting app open, you can get to work. The first thing on your list is creating a custom object for reviews.
- From Setup, click Object Manager.
- Click Create, select Custom Object, and fill in the details.
- In the Optional Features section, select Allow Reports and Track Field History.
- In the Deployment Status section, ensure Deployed is selected.
- In the Search Status section, select Allow Search.
- In the Object Creation Options section, select Add Notes and Attachments related list to default page layout.
- Leave everything else as is, and click Save.
You created your first custom object. Now let’s move on to the next step, where you create an object for a job posting site.