Sign Up for MuleSoft's Anypoint Platform
In this project, you’ll:
- Set up PushTopics for capturing real-time updates from Salesforce.
- Create a basic integration flow in Anypoint Design Center.
- Connect to third-party systems such as Salesforce, Database, and Twilio using connectors.
- Learn how to transform data using visual tools and light scripting.
- Build a working end-to-end, order-to-cash workflow for a retailer.
- Sign up for an Anypoint Platform 30-day trial.
- Create a new Trailhead Playground for this project. To learn about playgrounds and find step-by-step instructions for how to create one, see the Trailhead Playground Management module.
- Get your credentials
Sign up for a Twilio developer account.
- Once in your dashboard, get a free trial number.
- Take a note of your Account SID and Auth Token. You use them later
You’re the Sales Cloud integration lead at an exciting company, Northern Trail Outfitters (NTO for short). NTO makes stylish and comfortable outerwear, apparel, and gear for outdoor recreation and fitness. Your company’s custom apparel is a hit with celebrities, professional athletes, and people who attend a certain popular tech conference in San Francisco.
NTO uses Sales Cloud to track the opportunities in the pipeline for swag and bulk orders. When opportunities are won, their sales reps need to manually go into the order management system and place the orders when they close business. Also, their customers often call the NTO offices to check on their orders.
NTO is planning to use MuleSoft to automate the process of placing orders when opportunities are closed, and to notify customers via SMS about their order status and ETA as soon as that information is available. It’s critical for the NTO systems to be integrated with each other for this to work seamlessly.
This table gives an overview of different systems within NTO’s IT infrastructure.
|Salesforce Sales Cloud
||Opportunity management and CRM
||Stores product information and SKUs
|NTO Order API
||Internal API that can place orders and return tracking information + order ETA
You’ve been tasked to develop this integration within a tight deadline, but no need to worry. Even though your integration experience is limited, MuleSoft’s flow designer lets you build integrations with minimal coding. But before you begin, take a step back and develop a plan. Start thinking about how the data is going to flow across these systems to place an order, notify the customer, and update Salesforce.
To automate this process for NTO, you have to overcome a few integration challenges. Here’s what needs to happen in order to automate this order-to-cash cycle.
- You need Salesforce to trigger a message to tell you every time an opportunity status is changed to Closed Won.
- For a given opportunity that’s closed, you need to retrieve the appropriate product information from the products database (MySQL).
- Once you have all the information, you can use the NTO Orders API to place the order.
- The Order API returns the order number, tracking information, and ETA for delivery.
- This information needs to be translated into human-readable text and sent to you as an SMS for testing.
Visually, your flow should look something like this.
Now that we’ve done some planning, you’re ready to start implementing this flow to automate the order to cash cycle for NTO. The first step is to trigger your flow. Every time an NTO sales rep closes an opportunity marking it Closed Won, your order to cash automation needs to be triggered. In the next section, you set up PushTopics within Salesforce that acts as the trigger.
We won’t check any of your setup. Click Verify Step to go to the next step in the project.