Build Your Tableau CRM Dataset
There Are Insights Buried in Your Data
Your data contains hints that can point to valuable insights. But it’s difficult to identify those hints and excavate insights when you’re dealing with enormous tables of data and many variables with complex relationships. Take the example we’ve been looking at, shrinking margins in an auto parts supply company. To do a thorough analysis, you must consider not just inventory, but also particular markets, distributors, incentives, and likely many other factors.
Your company feels the pain of shrinking margins. But learning the source of that pain by sifting through a vast amount of data is an immense undertaking. Luckily, we have Einstein Discovery to help us power through this challenge. It quickly analyzes all the many rows and columns of data to identify and expose correlations that we can investigate. It shows us where to look first by surfacing insights according to statistical significance. Based on a thorough analysis of past outcomes, Einstein Discovery makes predictions on future outcomes, and even suggests ways in which to improve those predicted outcomes.
Put yourself back in the role of VP of operations, and let’s create your first story.
Try Einstein Discovery with a Developer Edition Org
Let’s get you set up so you can log in and get started.
- Go to developer.salesforce.com/promotions/orgs/analytics-de.
- Fill out the form using an active email address. Your username must also look like an email address and be unique, but it doesn’t need to be a valid email account. For example, your username can be firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can put in your company name.
- After you fill out the form, click Sign me up. A confirmation message appears.
- When you receive the activation email, open it and click the link.
- Complete your registration, and set your password and challenge question.
- Click Save. You are logged in to your Tableau CRM Developer Edition org and redirected to the Setup page.
Way to go! You now have a Salesforce org! Let's jump right in.
Download the Data
Before we can create a story, we need the data we want to analyze. We’ve prepared a file with sample data for the auto parts company in our example. Download the CSV file called APdist.csv and save it to your computer.
Create and Populate a Tableau CRM Dataset
- In your new DE Org, switch to Lightning Experience (if you have not already done so).
- From the App Launcher ( ), find and select Analytics Studio.
- On the Tableau CRM Analytics Studio home tab, click Create | Dataset, and select CSV File.
- In the file-selection window that opens, find the CSV file—APdist.csv—you downloaded, select it, and then click Next.
- In the Dataset Name field, change the default name, if you want. By default, Analytics Studio uses the file name as the dataset name. The name cannot exceed 80 characters.
- Select the app where you want to create the dataset. By default, Analytics Studio selects your My Private App. To change an app, click the cross on it, and select a different one.
- Click Next. The Edit Field Attributes screen appears. Here, you can preview the data, and view or edit the attributes for each field.
- For now, accept the defaults, and click Upload File. Analytics Studio uploads the data, prepares and creates the dataset, and shows you progress as it happens.