Manage Daily Advising Tasks
After completing this unit, you'll be able to:
- Explain how case-based advisee records help advisors successfully manage advisee loads.
- Create and manage tasks in Advisor Link.
- Describe how notes streamline documentation and protect student privacy.
The new Cloudy advisors are back together for another training session. They’re feeling confident and eager to learn more about using Salesforce Advisor Link to streamline and scale their advising efforts. Cloudy academic advisor Valerie Keckler has returned to assist as a power user who knows what it’s like to work in the solution on a daily basis. In today’s training, new advisors will learn about case-based advisee records, task creation and management, and notes creation and management.
Case-Based Advisee Records
In Advisor Link, all advising-related data for an advisee is associated with a master case, the advisee record. Each student has a master case and a unique case number that tracks appointments, advising notes, tasks, and more, throughout their course of study. The advisee case record holds a wealth of information, but it doesn't tell you the whole story about the advisee. Academic and personal data (info not specific to advising) is stored under a separate but related advisee contact record. This data could include information about courses, grades, employers, and campus affiliations.
If this sounds confusing at all, don’t sweat it. You don't have to keep track of what's related to the contact record versus the case record. Advisor Link keeps track for you, saves data in the right places, and even shows (1) contact-related data alongside (2) case-related data . This gives you a unified picture of a student so you can understand the whole person that you're supporting.
Access Your Advisee Records
There are a couple of different ways for users to access advisee records in Advisor Link. One way is through a list view. The Cloudy College administrator has created lists for advisors to view their assigned advisees. The full-screen list view offers the most detailed preview of a record. Advisors can complete a mass action, like creating a task for multiple advisees, from the full-screen list view. And advisors can open an individual advisee’s record by clicking on the student’s name in the list view.
The more compact advisee list view is faster access when you're working in the console and need to quickly look up an advisee record while staying in place in the console.
The second route to access advisee records is searching. Regardless of the lists an administrator creates, users can always use the search box at the top of the page to locate advisee records or other data. Search for advisees by name, email, phone or school ID number, and so on. Start typing search terms and you get suggestions in the dropdown list for quick access to the records you have access to.
Create and Manage Tasks
Tasks represent actionable assignments and they can be used to create to-do lists or act as reminders. You can assign a task to another advisor, to one of your advisees, or to every sophomore on your caseload all at once. In the Cloudy training, advisors practice creating a task related to one of their advisees.
Follow these steps to create a Task assigned to an advisee, to yourself, or to another individual advisor (Optional).
- Start the Task from within the console.
a. If you're viewing a scheduled appointment in the Appointment Manager, click Action and select Create Task.
b. From the Activity related list on an advisee record Case, click New Task.
c. From the Team related list on an advisee record Case, select the actions menu for an individual on the success team, and select the Create Task action.
d. From the Tasks related list on an advisee record Case, click New.
- Depending on where you opened the Task, some related fields are pre-filled. Make sure the Assigned To field shows the correct assignee. Enter other details as needed.
- Click Save or click Save & New to save this Task and begin creating another.
- When you're done, verify that the Task appears on the advisee record. Refresh the page if needed.
- The assigned advisee or advisor receives an email notification about the Task.
Adrian Morage, a new advisor participating in the Cloudy training, chose to create tasks and assign them to an advisee. See the example above for what a task list could look like when assigned to a student.
Simplify Documentation with Notes
At various points in your day, you need to record advising-related notes. Documentation is critical and Advisor Link makes it easy to keep up with note-taking by allowing users to create a note from lots of different places in the app. Here’s an overview of places advisors can access Notes.
- From the app navigation menu, click Notes to access the Notes home page.
- The Notes home page lists your notes. Use the list view selector to see all of your notes or a filtered subset.
- From the utility bar in the footer, click Notes to pop open a Notes scratchpad over your workspace and see a compact list view of all of your notes or a filtered subset.
- You can also click New in the Notes scratchpad to pop open a Notes composer window over your workspace.
- From the Appointment Manager's Action shortcuts menu, you can add a note that's automatically related to the advisee record Case for the appointment that you're viewing. Click Action and select Add Note.
- From an advisee record, go to the Notes related list to see a compact list view of your most recent notes about the advisee.
- From the Notes related list, click View All to open a new tab that shows a list view with more details.
Only you (or an administrator) can edit or delete a note that you created. To edit, click into any Notes view, start editing the note text and details as needed, and remember to save your changes. To delete, open the note in any view. In most views, click Delete. If you're viewing the note in the advisee record related list, look for the Delete option in the actions menu next to the note.
Protect and Connect with Notes Management
To protect advisees’ privacy and offer the most comprehensive support, it’s important to understand the visibility settings on your notes and how to restrict or expand visibility when necessary.
Visibility Set by Record: Visibility Set by Record means that anyone who has access to view the records that the note is related to can view the note. For example, a note related to an advisee record case is visible to any User who has access to view the case.
- Private: The note is just for your own files and not viewable by other advisors, unless you share it with people who need to know the contents of the note. We’ll cover sharing notes in just a moment.
To make a note private, you can create it without any relationship to another record, which automatically keeps it private. Another strategy is to restrict the Note’s visibility when you relate it to other records. After you've clicked Add to Records, select the option to prevent the note from being viewed by other users.
Share a Note with Another User
There will be times when sharing a note with other users is critical to providing support to an advisee. As an advisor, you can selectively share a note with any User. Sharing gives the User access to view the note only, not any of the records it's related to unless the User otherwise has access to a related record.
In the Cloudy training, Valerie shares a scenario in which she recently shared a note with members of one of her advisee’s success team (other advisors and Cloudy staff that support the student). The advising note she recorded was in regards to the student’s upcoming internship opportunities. Here’s the sharing process Valerie showed the trainees.
- Open the Note, and click Share.
- With the People icon selected, search for then select the name of a User. If you're sharing with multiple Users, continue adding more names.
- If you want to restrict Users from sharing or unsharing the note further, expand the Who Can Access section and select the option to prevent others from sharing and unsharing.
- Add an optional message.
- Click Done.
The users Valerie shared the note with received an email notification about the shared note.
Understanding how to access advisee records and manage tasks and notes enables Cloudy’s advisors to engage with Salesforce Advisor Link and realize the power of collaboration with their advisees and other advisors. In the next unit, we explore a set of features that takes student support to the next level.