Get Focused with Your Personal V2MOM
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Identify the five components of the V2MOM.
- Write your personal V2MOM.
Our New Normal
For people all over the world, our everyday realities have changed dramatically because of COVID-19. With school closures, work-at-home requirements, and regional stay-at-home orders, the way we live and work has changed. And anxiety is at an all-time high as each one of us tries to make sense of what this global pandemic means for ourselves, the people we care about, and everyone around the world.
This module is meant to give you actionable tips and guidance for navigating this brand-new normal. While there are commonalities in our experiences, each individual is experiencing this pandemic in unique ways. In practice, that means that the strategies outlined here may not work for everyone. As with any guidance, take what works for you, and leave the rest.
Specifically, you’ll learn:
- How to create your own personal V2MOM to prioritize what’s most important to you right now
- How to develop healthy habits in times of crisis
- How to cultivate your own mindfulness and stay centered
Let’s start with writing your personal V2MOM.
The Salesforce V2MOM
At Salesforce, we have a unique framework for ensuring we’re all aligned to our vision and values, and that our goals are achievable. We call it the V2MOM, which is an acronym that stands for Vision, Values, Methods, Obstacles, and Measures.
While there are many other leadership paradigms and frameworks available to follow, the magic of the V2MOM is its simplicity. It’s easy to digest, understand, and implement. And best of all, every employee at Salesforce has one, making it easy for everyone to know how they contribute to the company’s success.
The V2MOM is a powerful tool for prioritizing what’s most important and holding yourself accountable to achieve the results. You can use it to clarify your vision for any aspect of life, not just your professional life.
And that’s why we want to encourage you to write a personal V2MOM right now, during these times, to help you prioritize what’s most important to you, and make sure you achieve progress against your own personal measures.
Writing Your V2MOM
The V2MOM has five main components: Vision, Values, Methods, Obstacles, and Measures.
||What you want to do or achieve
||Principles and beliefs that help you pursue the vision
||Actions and steps to take to get the job done
||Challenges, problems, issues you have to overcome to achieve the vision
||Measurable results you aim to achieve
Each one is an important component of the overall end product—a document you can use to track your own personal progress.
The Vision represents what you want to achieve or accomplish. It focuses on what’s most important to you and what you most want to achieve.
For example, your Vision for this time might be to safeguard the health and well-being of your loved ones, your community, and yourself, and to build resilience for weathering challenges.
When writing your Vision, think about:
- What do you want to accomplish? (Keep it to one to three sentences.)
- What impact will it have on your family, community, and your own well-being?
- How can you make it inspiring and personal?
Values represent the principles or beliefs that are most important as you pursue your Vision. They guide everyday decisions and tradeoffs.
For example, Values that guide you now might be Safety, Connection, and Empathy.
Which Values come to mind when thinking about the principles needed to achieve your Vision? When writing about your Values, consider:
- Which three Values are most important as you pursue your Vision?
- How can you describe those Values so that everyone is clear on what it means to live them?
- How will these Values guide your everyday decisions and tradeoffs?
Methods represent the actions you take to achieve your Vision.
Some Methods for this time might be building healthy habits, staying in regular contact with family and friends, and cultivating gratitude.
As you write out your own Methods:
- Think carefully about what actions you need to take to achieve your Vision.
- What five to eight things do you want to accomplish?
- Prioritize the order of your Methods with the highest priority Method at the top.
- Keep your writing simple and inspiring.
Obstacles are things that block your progress, get in your way, or make it difficult to accomplish what you’ve outlined. Identifying Obstacles before you take action helps you anticipate challenges and proactively consider how to overcome them.
What are the most pressing Obstacles you can think of that will get in the way of achieving your Vision for this time? Obstacles holding you back now might include difficult emotions like fear or anxiety, or having to learn many new things all at once. How might you overcome the Obstacles you identify?
When writing your Obstacles, think about:
- What’s going to make accomplishing your vision and executing your Methods difficult?
- What do you need to be mindful of to overcome your Obstacles?
- What specifically can you do to overcome your Obstacles?
Measures tell you and others when you’ve achieved success or successfully completed your Methods. They focus on the measurable outcomes of your work, not your day-to-day activities.
Your Measures for your personal V2MOM could look like these.
- Once a day, meditate for 15 minutes.
- Once a week, call a friend or family member.
- Once a month, attend a virtual social gathering at work.
For each of your Measures, how can you clearly define success? When writing your Measures:
- Think about how you know when you’ve been successful.
- Focus on the measurable outcomes.
Take a Look at a Sample Personal V2MOM
It can be helpful to look at a real-world example. Salesforce Admin Evangelist Mike Gerholdt recently shared his personal V2MOM on Twitter . Take a look at the full document in Quip . We hope it inspires you and gives you ideas for building your own V2MOM for this time.
Download the V2MOM Template
Ready to write yours? Download the Personal V2MOM pack and get started.
Remember, this activity is meant to help you focus on what’s most important and hold yourself accountable to your progress. In times like these, this can be a powerful tool for staying focused and getting grounded.
Create a Personal Vision Board with the My North Star App
If you want to inspire yourself with images, try creating your V2MOM as a vision board. The My North Star web app makes it easy--just enter your vision, values, and the actions you'll take to achieve each value. Then upload images that symbolize your values. You can even share your vision board on social media to inspire others.