Configure Additional Security Settings
- Make the Salesforce mobile app available to offline users.
- Control whether users can import contacts into the Salesforce app.
The Finishing Touches
By now you know how to set up the connected app policies for the Salesforce mobile app so they meet your company’s security and compliance requirements. But there are a few other options in Salesforce Setup that are related to mobile security. We go over them in this unit, and then all of our configuration tasks are complete. Hurray!
Enable Offline Access for the Salesforce App
When you enable offline access for the Salesforce app, data is cached securely on the device. So users can keep working in the app even if they lose their connection to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. For details about how the data is stored and encrypted, see the security guide.
So how does it work? With offline enabled, users can create records for cached objects, edit and delete cached records, and keep track of all offline changes from a central place. And when the Salesforce app is back online, it automatically syncs pending changes to Salesforce and warns the user of any conflicts they need to resolve.
- From Setup, enter Mobile in the Quick Find box, then select Salesforce Offline.
- To let users view data while offline, select Enable caching in Salesforce for Android and iOS. This option is automatically enabled the first time someone in your org installs one of the Salesforce downloadable apps.
- To let users update records while offline, select Enable offline create, edit, and delete in Salesforce for Android and iOS. This option isn’t available if caching is disabled.
- Click Save.
Prevent Users from Importing Contacts into the Salesforce App
Mobile users can import contacts from their mobile device contact lists directly into the Salesforce app. If you don’t want your users to do this, you can turn the feature off for your organization.
- From Setup, enter Mobile in the Quick Find box, then select Salesforce Settings.
- Select Allow Salesforce to import Contacts from mobile device Contacts lists to let users in your organization import the contacts in their phone into the Salesforce app. Deselect this option to prevent users from importing contacts.
- Click Save.
Congratulations! You’re officially done configuring all the security settings for the Salesforce mobile app. So what’s the next step?
Well, now that you’ve put these policies in place for your mobile users, it’s a good time to monitor and manage their usage of the Salesforce app, right? Of course it is! So that’s exactly what we do in the next unit.