Get to Know MuleSoft Composer
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Explain when to use MuleSoft Composer to integrate systems and data.
- Describe the MuleSoft Composer features.
The Problem with Systems and Data Integration
In today’s fast-paced world, organizations need to be able to make timely business decisions using the most up-to-date data. But in most organizations, data tends to be siloed and locked up in various systems. Until now, integrating different systems and data has been a time-consuming and manual process that must be performed frequently to meet business needs.
If you are a SaaS (software as a service) admin, business analyst, marketer, salesperson, or team leader responsible for important business processes, you’ve felt this pain. You’ve had to depend on IT and line-of-business developer teams to integrate systems and data and automate the whole process. This dependency puts an enormous strain on IT organizations and developer teams already stretched thin by growing business demands and shrinking IT resources.
Let’s take a look at some examples of common integration problems.
- A sales team creates and maintains sales data in Salesforce and orders data in NetSuite. Every time an opportunity record is updated to Closed Won in Salesforce, they have to create a sales order for the products from that opportunity in NetSuite.
- A marketing team is collecting information about all attendees of a marketing event, using a Google Sheets spreadsheet. They need to use this information to periodically create or update contacts in Salesforce.
- A sales team keeps records of sales in Google Sheets. They want to visualize sales data weekly in Tableau. To accomplish this task, they need to export the sales data from Google Sheets to a .csv file, create an extract from the .csv file, and publish the extract as a data source to a Tableau Online project.
Each of these scenarios requires you to manually access different systems and manipulate data. In the process, you risk losing valuable data through human error and waste precious time.
A Solution for Systems and Data Integration
To solve these types of integration problems and relieve the burden on your central IT and line-of-business developer teams, MuleSoft has developed a new tool, MuleSoft Composer. MuleSoft Composer is an integration tool designed for SaaS admins, business analysts, marketers, salespeople, and team leaders.
Using MuleSoft Composer, you can quickly and easily build flows to integrate systems and data and automate integration tasks. The best part is you can do this using just clicks. You never have to write any code!
In this module, you learn about MuleSoft Composer’s integration features, flow components, and flow creation tasks. To learn how to install and configure MuleSoft Composer, take the MuleSoft Composer Installation and Configuration module. To get step-by-step instructions to solve common integration problems using MuleSoft Composer, take the other modules in the MuleSoft Composer Trailmix.
Features of MuleSoft Composer
MuleSoft Composer makes it easy for you to perform integration tasks. It offers the following features for building and running flows.
- Connect as an authenticated user automatically to different systems.
- Extract data from connected systems based on a specific event or schedule.
- Map extracted data from one system to another.
- View sample data in every step of a flow.
- Filter and route data through a flow based on conditions.
- Loop through a collection of records and perform specific actions on each record.
- Synchronize data across different systems.
- Test, run, monitor, and manage flows.
- Troubleshoot errors in flows.
We designed and built MuleSoft Composer with accessibility in mind and provide contextual in-app help every step of the way.
One of the best things about MuleSoft Composer is that you get a number of ready-to-use connectors. These enable you to integrate with systems including Salesforce, Tableau, Slack, NetSuite, Workday, and Google Sheets. We're developing and releasing new connectors all the time so that you can connect applications, data, and devices as your business requires.
You just learned some basics about MuleSoft Composer. In the next unit, you explore MuleSoft Composer flow components and flow creation tasks.