Get Started with Anypoint Platform
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Describe how MuleSoft's Anypoint Platform supports the software development lifecycle.
- Explain the importance of the Anypoint Exchange.
- Identify the primary tools of Anypoint Platform and their uses.
We can break down Anypoint Platform into the following components.
|Anypoint Design Center
||Design APIs, build integrations, and create connectors for any system.
|Anypoint Management Center
||Manage all aspects of your APIs, integrations, and the Anypoint Platform, from initial deployment to ongoing operations.
||Store private assets in a central repository or access publicly shared resources.
||The underlying execution engine—a general purpose processor that is lightweight and highly performant.
||Support the auxiliary functionalities of the platform, such as temporary storage of data and message queuing.
If you're a developer, you're likely familiar with the application development lifecycle in one form or another. Anypoint Platform, with its driving philosophy of API-led connectivity, follows a similar development lifecycle: Design, Develop & Test, Deploy, Operate, and Engage.
Next, we highlight these tools as they relates to the development lifecycle. Small spoiler: It all begins (and ends) with the Anypoint Exchange.
Let’s say you’re a seasoned architect of the Salesforce platform, and you’ve determined that the solution to your business requirements can’t be met with clicks alone. What do you do before you turn your team of developers loose to create Lightning Components and Apex triggers? You check the AppExchange to see if a solution already exists.
Like the AppExchange for Salesforce, MuleSoft has the Anypoint Exchange. Here you find a public repository of connectors, templates, examples, and APIs. Unlike the AppExchange, these aren’t ISVs selling their wares. The public-facing segment of the Anypoint Exchange is 100 percent free!
In the open source spirit, this is where developers share their design patterns and best practices. This includes everything from reusable fragments of API definitions to full-fledged examples.
When you are ready to design, develop, and test, the Anypoint Design Center has you covered. It includes tools such as API designer, Studio, and Flow designer. Using these tools, developers can:
- Design, document, and test APIs in a web-based graphical environment.
- Use API specifications to scaffold the API implementations, automatically generate documentation, or mock (simulate) an API.
- Build integrations and implement APIs in a low-code environment in your browser or desktop.
- Create data transformations within a drag-and-drop interface or by writing the code.
- Test integrations manually or automate tests locally or in continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) environments.
Remember, there may be existing assets you can reuse on the Anypoint Exchange. Mulesoft also provides many prebuilt components and connectors to save time and tedium. What once took weeks to build can now be accomplished in hours. What’s more, it’s all part of a thoughtfully organized, API-led, reusable architecture.
The tests have all passed and it'’s time to put the code in production, so let’s move on to the Anypoint Management Center, which allows you to:
- Deploy, manage, and monitor APIs and integrations in the cloud or on-premises.
- Provision access to individuals or across entire teams with single sign-on technologies such as OAuth and SAML.
- Manage proxy, control versions, apply prebuilt or custom policies, and set alerts.
- Track key metrics like API usage, transactions by region, and performance with prebuilt or custom dashboards.
- Identify issues, map dependencies, monitor diagnostics, and manage logs in one unified interface.
Our journey ends in the same place it began: the Anypoint Exchange. Here, you may store connectors, templates, examples, API definitions, even API fragments in a privately shared space, so others in your team can take advantage of the work you’ve done to avoid redundancy and duplication.
Now that we know that capabilities of the Anypoint Platform, let’s take a look at how Salesforce fits together with MuleSoft.
To sign up for a Mulesoft trial, click here.