Learn About Messaging and Automation Products
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Identify key features for our messaging products.
- Explain how customers can use each product.
Marketing Cloud Messaging at Scale
In this module we walk you through what makes up Marketing Cloud. If you haven’t already gone through the Marketing Cloud Basics module, we recommend you start with that. This module assumes that you have a basic understanding of what Marketing Cloud does.
A Quick Summary
Marketing Cloud is a single platform made up of several products that fall under four primary buckets: messaging and automation, data and advertising, social media, and measurement and analytics. Each product, and various combinations of them, help you meet your digital marketing goals. Before we dive into the details of each, let’s first look at the general difference between them.
- Marketing Cloud messaging and automation: solutions include Email Studio, Mobile Studio, Journey Builder, and Interaction Studio. These products help you create, build, deploy, and manage communication across different marketing channels at scale, which help map the ways you communicate with your customers.
- Marketing Cloud data and advertising: solutions include Advertising Studio, Audience Studio, and Data Studio. These products help you create custom audiences and combine data from any source to deliver more targeted marketing.
- Marketing Cloud social media: solutions include Social Studio. This product lets you listen to digital conversations; engage across marketing, sales, and service; and publish information for key discussions your customers are having about your brand.
- Marketing Cloud measurement and analytics: solutions include Datorama and Google Analytics 360. These products help you understand what's working—or what's not—across all your marketing efforts, using cross-platform reporting and insights
In this first unit we go in-depth on Marketing Cloud messaging and automation solutions. Let’s take a look at the power of our Marketing Cloud Messaging tools.
Most consumers receive 100 emails a day and spend about 11 seconds reading the emails they choose to open. The stakes have never been higher when competing for attention and engagement at the inbox. Consumers are looking for personalized experiences and choose the brands that send the right message at the right moment.
So whether you’re a small business sending out emails to a few hundred customers at a time, or you’re a large business sending emails to a few million customers, Email Studio can help you personalize your messages to drive 1:1 engagement with customers at scale. With Email Studio you can segment, build, send, and track both your promotional and transactional messages all in one place.
In Email Studio you can:
- Create AI-powered segments to target subscribers based on engagement.
- Build mobile-optimized email templates.
- Personalize messages with dynamic content and AI-powered recommendations.
- Unify promotional and transactional messages on the same platform.
- Scale and automate all interactions with your customers.
Email Studio Use Cases
- Personalization at scale: Send weekly promotional email messages tailored for the individual customer based on their unique data points and previous engagement. Think first name, product preferences, and AI-driven content or product recommendations all automated to a file of thousands or millions.
- Surprise and delight: Create and send a “happy birthday” email to your subscribers when it’s their birthday with a celebratory 20% off coupon.
- Efficiency and effectiveness: Streamline your design and build workflows. Use a pre-built template, customize it, and build custom content blocks for your team to easily drag-and-drop content.
- Improve Internal communication: Use Email Studio for mass communications to your employees about an event or organizational change.
Every time someone uses their mobile device to search for something, a brand has the opportunity to connect. Roughly 70 percent of mobile customers who find your business online will act within 1 hour. What’s the best way for companies to make these customer connections? By creating a smooth mobile journey that addresses the customer’s needs.
Mobile Studio is the Salesforce Marketing Cloud mobile marketing solution that drives immediate and relevant customer engagement. Marketers can manage engagement across every customer interaction by personalizing their email, advertising, push, and SMS messaging from a single platform.
Mobile Studio features mobile messaging tools, including:
- MobileConnect to create and send text messages (SMS and MMS)
- MobilePush to create and send automated, interactive, or scheduled push messages from mobile applications
- GroupConnect, or Chat App Messaging, allows brands to create 1:1 conversations on group messaging apps (LINE) using rich customer data
In Mobile Studio you can:
- Deliver time-sensitive messages such as account alerts and appointment reminders.
- Target on-the-go customers with location-based push marketing.
- Drive mobile app engagement to keep customers coming back.
- Use personalized data stored on the customer success platform to have a single view of the customer.
- Create and edit mobile messages in Content Builder, without having to leave Journey Builder.
Mobile Use Cases
- Customer engagement: Design, execute, and optimize campaigns to cross-sell, upsell, incentivize, or inform existing customers on their mobile device. For instance, you can build and automate mobile text campaigns with custom templates for outbound messages, text-response, and multimedia messages (MMS). Personalize each message based on subscriber location, demographics, and individual preferences.
- Customer acquisition: Design, execute, and optimize campaigns to acquire new customers via mobile app, mobile website, or messaging. This includes email opt-in campaigns and SMS info capture.
- Customer retention: Design, execute, and optimize campaigns to persuade customers to use a mobile app or website, reengage lapsed customers, and drive loyalty program sign-ups. For instance, you can create geo-fenced push notifications for sales and events that automatically send coupons or alerts to customers as they enter and exit targeted physical spaces. Or you can set up Bluetooth beacon devices at a specific location to deliver high-proximity geo-targeted messages.
- Deliver transactional, time-sensitive messages, such as shipping notifications, appointment reminders, and fraud alerts to help acquire, engage, and retain customers.
A customer journey is like a long road trip: The scenery is diverse and there are several stops along the way. But you don’t want to drive to your destination in one day. Just the same, with customer journeys, you need to divide the trip into smaller treks. Select the part of the journey that will have the most impact as the starting point for your customer. Focus on where your business needs it the most, and go from there.
Here's a list of questions to ask to help determine your business goals.
- Are you onboarding new customers?
- Would you like to encourage a sign-up for a newsletter?
- Do you want to engage with new customers to encourage a repeat visit or additional purchase?
- Are you attempting to increase adoption for your mobile app?
Our customers have the most success when they focus on their customer’s outcome. They identify a group of customers where they can get a quick win as a template for success. The following are areas where we’ve seen our customers have the most success.
Acquisition and Onboarding
- Welcome new subscribers
- First purchase and thank you
- Refer a friend
- Influence next purchase
- Download the mobile app
- Complete a profile or join the loyalty program
- Finish a customer survey
Loyalty and Retention
- Birthday/Anniversary messages
- Win-back of lapsed customer
- Abandoned cart reminders
You can build a customer’s journey in Journey Builder using the drag-and-drop tools. With these tools, you can create the flow of how and when emails, push notifications, or ads are sent to your subscribers. You can add a decision split into the journey when the customer joins your rewards program so that a coupon is automatically sent to a new rewards member. But let’s say you’ve given your customer a month to opt into the rewards program and they don’t join, a reminder email is automatically sent to reengage the customer.
From product recommendations to proactive service, customers expect businesses to engage them in a personalized way. And customers are looking for personalized interactions that are presented in the right context. Real-time interaction management helps the entire business rethink customer engagement and provide personalization at scale across every customer interaction, including digital interactions, offline moments, and assisted engagements.
With Interaction Studio, you can:
- Capture insights on every owned channel to manage real-time customer interactions.
- Coordinate engagement everywhere by connecting online digital interactions to offline moments.
- Leverage machine learning to decide, prioritize and deliver the most relevant content/products/offers in real time, while the customer is engaging on the site or when they open the next email.
Interaction Studio Use Cases
- Easily target and manage individual users as they move through the customer lifecycle.
- Inform online and offline channels of the last action a user took.
- Monitor anonymous behavior and use recognition (identification/conversion) moments to connect user profiles from your CRM and link them with anonymous profiles.
- Collect in-depth behavioral information for both anonymous website visitors and known customers to enrich their profiles and determine their true interests and intent.
- Use journey context to inform other systems delivering offers (for example, email campaigns). This helps move individuals in/out of segments as applicable, so they are receiving consistent messages across all interactions.