Find Your Data
The Power of Search in the Salesforce Mobile App
Sometimes we forget where we place our important items, such as car keys or eyeglasses. Fortunately, mobile search never forgets where your important data lives.
Let’s check back in with our fearless field sales rep, Alice B. Closing, who just finished up a presentation to her customer, Global Media. They liked what they saw and asked for a proposal. Before heading to her next appointment, Alice wants to find the current opportunity for Global Media so she can move it to the next stage and add some notes. Let’s learn about the ways Alice can find what she’s looking for in the Salesforce mobile app.
There are three ways to search for information in the app:
- Global Search : Find a record across objects, such as a person who could be either a contact or lead. From the search results page, you can narrow your search to see results for a single object.
- Feed Search : Search for Chatter posts, comments, mentions, and files.
- Spotlight Search : Find records without even opening the Salesforce mobile app.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these search options.
Find Items with Global Search
Global search finds matching records in multiple objects. For example, search for Acme to get results for the Acme account as well as your opportunities for Acme. Or maybe you’re not sure if Juliet Capulet was converted to a contact or if she’s still a lead. Global search finds her record either way.
To use global search:
- In the header, tap the search icon. This will instantly open a list of your most recently used records across all objects.
- Type your search terms. The list of recently accessed items changes to show only items that match what you’ve typed so far. At any point, you can tap an item in the list to open it.
- If you don’t see what you’re looking for in the list of recently accessed items, you can search more records by tapping the first result, which has the search symbol and any search terms you typed in.
- Now you see all available results of your search, sorted by object type. Find the result you want and tap it to see more details.
From the search results page, you can narrow your search to see results for a single object. Tap the name of the object in the search scope bar, just below the search box. To see a complete list of objects you can search, tap More at the end of the search scope bar. Then tap the name of an object in the list to search it.
Find Chatter Items with Feed Search
Scrolling through all the items in an active Chatter feed looking for a certain piece of information isn't the most efficient use of time. Search the feed instead! You can quickly find information in posts and comments, mentions of specific people and groups, and files.
To search your main feed:
- In the navigation menu, select Chatter .
- Tap the search box.
- Type your keywords then start the search from the keyboard.
Easily Find Your Records with Spotlight Search
Use your iOS device’s built-in Spotlight Search feature to find Salesforce records without even opening the app! To use Spotlight search, type in keywords like account name, job title, or company name to find the records you need.
- You won’t be able to use Spotlight Search if you have to enter a PIN to use the Salesforce mobile app or if your org has disabled offline caching.
- Only your 200 most recently viewed Chatter profiles and your 200 most recently accessed contacts are indexed in Spotlight Search.
- This feature is only available Salesforce for iOS, version 11.0 or later.
- If you have multiple accounts on Salesforce, your search results are for the account you’re currently using.
As we’ve seen, the Salesforce mobile app makes it easy to find what you’re looking for.