Add Quip Components to Your Salesforce Pages
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Understand how to add specific Quip components to your Salesforce instance.
- Identify which Quip components are most valuable for your team.
Quip components are the basic ingredients you use to mix up the perfect processes for your team. But before you can use them to improve your team’s productivity, you first have to add the Quip components to your instance of Salesforce.
Follow the following process to add Quip components to opportunities, accounts, contacts, cases, and so forth. For example, you can add the documents component to accounts, but add the notifications component to the utility bar.
1. Go to any Account page. Click and select Edit Page.
Quip in the search bar.
You’ll see three options.
- Quip Associated Documents
- Quip Documents
- Quip Notifications
3. For the Quip and notifications components, drag them onto the page and click Save. For the document component, you need to follow a few additional steps.
Before you add a Quip document:
- If you want to configure different Quip documents for a Salesforce record, create a custom field.
- If you want to configure different Quip templates, create a second custom field to store the template URL.
- Connect Salesforce to Quip. Go to Setup, enter Quip in the Quick Find box, and follow the instructions that appear on your screen. The instructions describe the connection process step-by-step.
To add the Quip document:
- Navigate to the Salesforce page where you want to add a Quip document component, such as a customer’s Account page.
- Click .
- Select Edit Page to go to the Lightning App Builder.
- In the left pane, select Quip Document (1) and drag it to your canvas (2). The right pane shows the four Quip document component configuration options with the “One template for each record” option (3) selected.
5. In the left pane, select a configuration option that describes how you want the Quip document to behave, and enter values into the required fields. The required fields depend on the option you chose.
- Different documents for each record—Enter the name of the custom field that stores the Quip document URL. Users can embed existing documents or create and embed new documents. Administrators can optionally prepopulate a field with a specific Quip document by creating an Apex trigger on the field or using Flow Builder or Process Builder.
- Same document on every record—Enter the URL of the Quip document. Once accessed, the Quip document is embedded on the page and every record associated with this page.
- One template for each record—Enter the URL of the shared Quip template (4) and the name of the custom field that stores the Quip document URL (5). When users use the page, they create documents on each record based on the template. Note: The URL link (4) must be to a shared document link, or this feature will not work.
- Different templates for different records—Enter the name of the custom field that stores the Quip document URL and the name of the field that stores the URL of the Quip template. Administrators are required to prepopulate the template field by creating an Apex trigger on the field or using Flow Builder or Process Builder. Users choose which Quip template to create a document from.
6. Specify whether other users can view, edit, or request access to the embedded Quip document.
(Optionally, enter a custom label for the embedded Quip document in the Custom Component Label field.)
7. Enter the component’s pixel height. Click Save, and click Activation.
8. On the Activation: Account Record Page, click Assign as Org Default and close the page. To exit Lightning App Builder, click Back. The Quip document component appears where you dragged it.
If you selected Different templates for different records, create an Apex trigger on the template field to prepopulate it with the template URL.
Congrats! You are done connecting Salesforce and Quip. By completing these steps, you've turned on the ability to bidirectionally sync Salesforce data into Quip. Now, you can start exploring applications with both standard and custom objects. For instance, you can now:
- Attach Quip documents to Salesforce Objects. These documents will live as Files and can be found using Salesforce Global Search.
- Use Salesforce Live Apps. Use these (Salesforce Record Live App and Salesforce List View Live App) to show and update Salesforce data with a bidirectional sync from Quip documents.
- Export Live Reports from Salesforce into Quip. Insert Live Data sections into Quip documents that will automatically update in real time.
- Quip: Set up Quip Notification Component in the Utility Bar
- Quip: Creating Managed Sites for Partner Collaboration and Testing Workflows
- Quip: Salesforce Spring ’19 Release Quip Updates: Salesforce Admin Guide
- Quip: Summer ’19 Release Quip Updates: Salesforce Admin Guide
- Salesforce Support: Quip Document Component
- Salesforce Support: Add the Quip Document Component to a Lightning Page