Prepare Your Org for External Identity
- Configure a custom profile and role for external identity.
- Assign the external identity role to a user.
- Create an account to store your external identity users’ information.
Let's Get Going
- A subdomain created with the My Domain Identity product.
- A cloned external identity profile and role.
- A user assigned to the external identity role.
- An account.
My Domain Is Already On in Your Trailhead Playground
In your production org, My Domain lets you create a subdomain unique to your organization. If your org’s login URL contains your Salesforce instance, such as https://na17.salesforce.com, deploying a My Domain replaces it with your company-specific login URL, such as https://mydomainname.my.salesforce.com.My Domain is required to create custom Lightning components and set up single sign-on (SSO) in an org. It’s so important that all production, Developer Edition, and trial orgs created in Winter ’21 org later get a My Domain by default. To learn how to activate My Domain in your production org, see the User Authentication module. To learn more about My Domain and your Trailhead Playground, check out this knowledge article.
Set Up a Simple Org
Salesforce includes a default External Identity User profile. You clone this profile and name it Customers. Later on, when visitors register for your community, they’re assigned the Customers profile.
To set up your own version of the profile, first clone the External Identity User profile.
- From Setup, enter Profiles in the Quick Find box, then select Profiles.
- Next to External Identity User, select Clone.
- Name the profile Customers, and click Save.
For now, let’s keep the defaults.
Add a Role
You create a customer community in the next unit. But first, you must create a role for the person who manages the community. So let’s set up a Customer Manager role and add it to the role hierarchy.
- From Setup, enter Role in the Quick Find box, then select Roles.
- From the dropdown list, select Product-based Sample, then select Set Up Roles. It’s at the bottom of the page.
- Under CEO, click Add Role.
- For the role label, enter Customer Manager.
- Click Save.
Assign the Role to a User
- From Setup, enter Users in the Quick Find box, then select Users.
- Next to your username, click Edit.
- Under Role, select Customer Manager.
- Click Save.
Create an Account
- From the App Launcher (), find and select Accounts.
- Click New.
- Name the account Customers, and click Save.