Get Started with Email Studio
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Define key features and functionality in Email Studio.
- Log in to Marketing Cloud.
- Describe the Marketing Cloud homepage.
- Navigate the Email Studio app.
Why Marketers (Still) Love Email
It’s true, email has been around a long time. But guess what? It’s still a great channel for reaching customers. Even as social and mobile have exploded in growth, email is better in conversions, click-throughs, and number of users. Customers trust email. And marketers love it because it’s easy to track customer behavior—like which emails they open, which links they click, which offers they redeem, and on which devices. Email is a tried-and-true way to deliver personalized communications that build lasting customer relationships.
Ready to take advantage of these benefits? Marketing Cloud has just the product: Email Studio. Whether you’re a digital marketing manager, a Marketing Cloud admin, or a little of both, you can build great emails, segment and target your audience, and send with confidence with Email Studio—all without any coding.
Some key features and functionality:
- No coding required: Accelerate email creation with an intuitive UI and drag-and-drop blocks for static and dynamic content.
- Share content development across channels: Easily tag, search, and share content across distribution channels—including email, social, and mobile using Content Builder—for content creation and management at scale.
- Send with confidence: Test emails and see the exact customer data in the preview. No more send anxiety.
- Built-in predictive intelligence: Take advantage of Einstein AI and send highly personalized emails with product recommendations based on past customer behavior.
Any email, any audience: Create all your enterprise emails with one application.
- Promotional emails: newsletters, promotions, flash sales, loyalty programs, events, and coupons
- Transactional and triggered emails: hotel reservations, purchase confirmations, shipping notifications, overdraft alerts, and bank statements
- Ecommerce emails: abandoned shopping cart emails, order confirmations, next-best-offer recommendations, and receipts
Take a Tour of Email Studio
Now let’s get hands-on and take a look at the application. If you’re a Marketing Cloud customer and you know your username and password, navigate to mc.exacttarget.com and log in. If you’re not, don’t worry. In this module we show you lots of screenshots and give you step-by-step instructions so you can see just how easy it is to use Email Studio.
First Stop: Marketing Cloud Homepage
You’ve arrived at the Marketing Cloud homepage. Before we dive into Email Studio, let’s briefly check out this page.
Starting at the top (1), the navigation bar, or App Switcher as we like to say, is how you move between the Marketing Cloud apps and tools, including Email Studio. If the navigation bar disappears while you’re in a particular app, you can always get back to it by hovering over the blue cloud at the top left.
Just below the main navigation bar (2), is easy access to Journey Builder's Journey Templates. Quickly start a template-based Journey right from within the Marketing Cloud homepage.
Next is your marketing calendar (3). This homepage view of your Calendar lets you quickly and easily see past, current, and future digital marketing campaigns, as well as the channels you’re using—social, mobile, email, and so on. You can also view campaigns and messaging by business unit using the filter.
Last but not least, the homepage gives you a view of your recent items (4). Scroll down to access recently sent emails, recently edited content, and more.
Next Stop: Email Studio Overview
Ready to check out Email Studio? Accessing it from the Marketing Cloud homepage is quick and easy. In the main navigation bar on the Marketing Cloud homepage:
- Hover over Email Studio.
- Click Email.
If you work in Email Studio a lot, you can set the Email Studio Overview page as your default homepage, or in Marketing Cloud terminology, your default login screen. To do this:
- Hover over your username.
- Click Cloud Preferences.
- Click Default Login Preference.
- Select Email.
The Email Studio Overview page displays all your recent items, including Content Builder emails, templates, and data extensions (1), as well as past and pending sends (2). Use the top navigation bar to find all the tools (3) you require to create, test, and send great emails.
There are six main tools in Email Studio (also called tabs), and as a digital marketer, you’ll no doubt become very familiar with all of them.
- Content: Create and share content, including emails, using Content Builder.
- Subscribers: Manage your subscriber data, including creating sendable data extensions.
- Interactions: Initiate a triggered send.
- A/B testing: Use A/B testing to see what content or parameters (emails, subject lines, content blocks, send dates/times, from names, preheaders) are most effective with your audience.
- Tracking: See various details related to your sends, including whether or not a send actually occurred.
- Admin (for admins only): Manage account information, security settings, physical mailing address displayed in email footers, and more.
Now that you’re more familiar with the Email Studio app, in the next unit, we take a look at Setup and a few of the admin tasks that prepare you to get up and sending.
Rights of ALBERT EINSTEIN are used with permission of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Represented exclusively by Greenlight.