Get Hands-on with Formatting and Notifications
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Customize number formatting in lenses and dashboards.
- Send email notifications to multiple recipients.
In addition to the preset formatting options already available, you can now create custom number formats by choosing symbols for the decimal and thousands separator in the number format panel. Select a predefined number format and edit it from there, or enter your own custom string to get started.
Although preset formats cover most use cases, this update lets you customize number formats for any use case and create highly personalized number views for your end users. For example, some currencies use a €#.###,00 format, which wasn’t available previously. Now creating this format can be done with just a few edits to the existing preset currency format.
The Format string always uses a comma (,) for the thousands separator and a period (.) for the decimal separator. Change the separator in the Thousands or Decimal string to override the separator in the Format string. CSV downloads ignore the specified separators and always use the default values of comma (,) for thousands and period (.) for decimal.
Automatically share the knowledge when your notification’s conditions are met. Now you can set up notifications to email colleagues at the same time as yourself. Add recipients from your org to the notification email’s distribution list, so everyone simultaneously gets the same alerts.
Let’s take a look at adding multiple recipients to an email notification.
To add recipients, open the notification in the dashboard’s notifications panel and click Edit Recipients.
In the Edit Recipients box, you can add users, view current recipients, and remove recipients. Only users who have access to the dataset and dashboard are available to select, and in this release you can only select users. Groups and roles are scheduled for a future release.
Recipients get the notification email sent from the email address of the user who set up the notification. Adding recipients doesn’t create personal notifications for them. The added recipients don’t get in-app notification via the bell icon, and they don’t see the notification on their home page.
To complete this module, you need a special Developer Edition org that contains Einstein and our sample data. Get the free Developer Edition and connect it to Trailhead now so you can complete the challenges in this module. Note that this Developer Edition is designed to work with the challenges in this badge, and may not work for other badges. Always check that you’re using the Trailhead Playground or special Developer Edition org that we recommend.
- Sign up for a free Einstein Analytics development org.
- Fill out the form. For Email, enter an active email address. For Username, enter a username that looks like an email address and is unique, but it doesn't need to be a valid email account (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- After you fill out the form, click Sign me up. A confirmation message appears.
- When you receive the activation email (this might take a few minutes), open it and click Verify Account.
- Complete your registration by setting your password and challenge question. Tip: Write down your username, password, and login URL for easy access later.
- You are logged in to your Developer Edition.
Now connect your new Developer Edition org to Trailhead.
- Make sure you’re logged in to your Trailhead account.
- In the Challenge section at the bottom of this page, select Log into a Developer Edition from the picklist.
- On the login screen, enter the username and password for the Developer Edition you just set up.
- On the Allow Access? screen, click Allow.
- On the Want to connect this org for hands-on challenges? screen, click Yes! Save it. You are redirected back to the challenge page and ready to use your new Developer Edition to earn this badge.