Explore Data Studio Tools
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Explain how provisioning works in Data Studio.
- Explain how discovery works in Data Studio.
By now you know that Data Studio is all about sharing data so businesses can learn more about consumers and advertise more effectively. Since data (and permission from consumers to use it) is so valuable, businesses are protective of it.
Data Studio is a platform where businesses secure data sharing through provisioning and supercharge their data strategies through discovery.
- For businesses that share data, they secure the data they share with Data Studio provisioning controls.
- For businesses that acquire data, they supercharge their data strategies with Data Studio discovery tools.
Let’s take a closer look.
Businesses like The Mews magazine for cat lovers realize that other businesses want access to the data it has. But in the past, when the magazine shared data, it had to share all of it. It couldn’t just select certain types or use cases. That was a problem. There was no way to put guardrails against what data was shared and with whom.
Data Studio’s secure platform makes it possible for businesses like The Mews to do all of this, thanks to our provisioning controls. This is data governance, and it gives businesses renewed confidence in sharing their data.
Here are examples of how Data Studio helps businesses control all kinds of details about how data they share is used.
||This Helps Businesses Select...
||All of the consumers who match a specific type of data.
||Consumers who have cats or visited a cat video website
||The kinds of businesses that can access their data.
||Advertisers, agencies, or publishers
||Rules for how the data can be used.
||Audience insights, ad targeting, or lookalikes
||Time periods during which the data is used.
||3 to 6 months
||Specific businesses or systems that can access the data.
||A business preapproves another business to access its data
||Specific businesses or systems that do not have access to the data.
||A business blocks another business from accessing its data
As you can see, Data Studio makes it possible for businesses to learn more about consumers than ever before.
Here’s an example of how a business can use provisioning to share data in the best possible way. Cherie, publisher of The Mews, creates a segment of all The Mews subscribers who have given consent to share its data and expressed an interest in Persian cats. Then Cherie selects use cases to share this data for audience insights, but not ad targeting. She offers access to the data to businesses that are marketers, but not to other publishers. Finally, she limits how long businesses can use the data to 3 months.
As you can see, provisioning controls in Data Studio help Cherie share data much more securely!
Now that you know all about provisioning controls, let’s tackle discovery.
Discovery is the ability to search and access data. Data Studio includes audience segments from hundreds of top brands and dozens of industries.
Data Studio includes population and overlap discovery tools that help businesses analyze other businesses’ data to find out which is most relevant and useful. Then businesses use this data to:
- Model lookalikes to find new consumers.
- Build a more complete view of consumers with audience profiles, Einstein segmentation, or custom indexing.
- Measure marketing performance for DMP insights or customer journeys.
- Create more personalized advertising with data feed and activation.
Population is the total number of consumers a business can reach.
For example, the Annual Cat Film Festival drew 28.3 million viewers in 2018. This means 28.3 million was the total available population. When a business like Numero Uno has access to this information, it sees how many cat lovers the festival knows.
Overlap happens when a business’s first-party data overlaps with second-party data from another business.
For example, when Numero Uno compares its first-party data with second-party data from The Mews magazine for cat owners, Numero Uno sees that 40% of its consumers also read The Mews. This means there’s a possibility that readers of The Mews want to buy things that Numero Uno sells. Numero Uno can target the other 60% of The Mews readers and possibly find more consumers for its business.
Data Studio makes it possible for businesses to see population and overlap of first- and second-party data.
With this information, Numero Uno can see that it makes more sense to use data from The Mews to find more consumers. Plus, when businesses find their existing consumers in another business’s audience, they learn new things about them. This helps the business advertise even more effectively.
Now that you know what Data Studio is all about, let’s talk about what makes it so special.