Customize Forecast Categories and Enable Adjustments
- Change your forecast category names to match the ones your team uses.
- Enable manager adjustments.
- Enable owner adjustments.
Change Category Names and Mappings
- Best Case
Nigel asks Lauren to provide category names that make more sense for Rollings Tech. Remember in the previous module that she enabled Collaborative Forecasts. Lauren now follows these steps to change the name of the Commit category to Contracted.
- From the Object Manager in Setup, select Opportunity, then Fields & Relationships.
- Click Forecast Category.
- Click Edit next to the value that you want to edit in the Forecast Category Picklist Values.
Enter a different category name in the Label field, then click Save.
Lauren only changed the label that her forecast users see. She didn’t change the API name, so it’s still Commit.
Keep in mind that forecast categories map to opportunity stage values. An opportunity stage value is the current stage of an opportunity, such as Prospect or Proposal. Opportunity stage values correlate with forecast category values to determine how the opportunity contributes to a forecast amount. Salesforce includes default correlations, but you can customize them.
For example, Nigel asks Lauren to map the Qualification stage to the Best Case forecast category. Here’s what Lauren does.
- From the Object Manager in Setup, click Opportunity, then click Fields & Relationships, then Stage.
- Scroll down to Opportunity Stages Picklist Values to see each stage name and what forecast category it’s mapped to.
- Next to the Stage Name you want to map to a forecast category, click Edit.
From the Forecast Category picklist, select the category that you want mapped to that
stage, then click Save.
Enable Forecast Adjustments
Lauren has been pretty busy, and she’s already accomplished a lot. But there’s still more to do. She needs to enable her team to adjust forecast amounts.
Forecast users make adjustments to show the final amount that they expect a forecast’s opportunities to bring in at the close of a given period. Sometimes forecast managers need to adjust a team member’s or territory’s forecast. For example, some employees can be too optimistic or too conservative when assigning amounts to opportunities. Forecast users can also adjust their own forecast amounts, including territory forecasts they own. An adjustment doesn’t change the underlying gross rollup amount. It just adds a layer of detail.
If you enable multiple types of forecasts, each type maintains separate adjustments. For example, if you adjust an amount in the opportunity-revenue forecast, you won’t see an equivalent adjustment value in the opportunity-quantity forecast view.
Lauren needs to enable both types of adjustments. In your Trailhead Playground, they might already be enabled.
- On the Forecasts Settings page, under Enable Forecast Adjustments, select Enable manager adjustments.
Select Enable owner adjustments, and click
Next up: currency and quotas!