Create Posts, Polls, and Questions
- Post to your profile feed and other feeds.
- Get answers to your questions.
- Create and respond to Chatter polls.
Post All the Things
Probably the most useful feature of Chatter is the publisher. Use it to add content to any kind of Chatter feed.
The types of things you can do in the Chatter publisher depend on how your Salesforce administrator configured Chatter. But, typically, you can post content, upload files, create polls, and ask questions. Use the Chatter publisher on the Chatter tab, on a profile, on a Salesforce record, and within groups. We talk more about groups in unit 4.
Post Something to Chatter
On the Post tab, click into the Share an update… field. Before you enter anything, take a moment to look at the options in the Chatter publisher.
With the controls in the rich text editor (1), you can add styles, lists, images, links, code snippets, emojis, and mentions to your post. With the link-to-records feature (2) you can link to a record, like an account, opportunity, case—even another user—as easily as adding a mention. Use the paperclip (3) to attach up to 10 files to a post or question.
Go ahead and enter: Today is a great day to learn Chatter!. If you like, add some styles.
To make your post easier to find later, add a topic to it. Topics are searchable terms that you add to a post using a hashtag (#). Enter #TakeItToChatter, and press Enter. Once you share your post, you can find it by searching for TakeItToChatter. Search results include all the feed items that you have access to that are tagged with #TakeItToChatter. Topics are so useful for finding content about a subject that you’re interested in.
Look at your profile feed to see posts where you’re @mentioned, things your co-workers posted to your profile, and your own posts. Filter a profile by Posts by This User to see only the profiled user’s posts. When you filter a profile feed by Posts by This User, posts where the user has commented or is @mentioned aren’t shown.
You can filter your own profile feed in this way to find that thing you just posted and lost. (We speak from experience.) Change the filter on a profile feed to All Updates to see posts from the profiled user and all others who have posted to this profile.
You can see a post in the full feed, or you can see it in its detail view. In detail view, all you see is that one post, question, or poll with all its related comments or answers. Detail view is useful for cutting out the noise of the other feed content. You can also use detail view for grabbing a URL that leads to just that one post, poll, or question. To get to the detail view of a post, click its date-and-time stamp.
Create and Take a Poll
- To open the Chatter page, click the Chatter tab. If the Chatter tab isn’t visible, from the App Launcher (), search for and select Chatter.
- In the publisher, click the Poll tab.
- In the Question field, enter: We’ll be handing out hoodies at the company all-hands. What color?
- Enter the following answer options in the Choice fields. After you enter Navy Blue, click Add new
choice for each of the last two options:
- Navy Blue
- Dark Red
- To publish your poll, click Ask.
To take the poll, choose an option and click Vote. After you vote, current results are shown. On any poll, you can click View results to see how the vote is going.
Ask a Question
- In the publisher, click the Question tab.
- Enter the following Question: Can you post suggestions for rewarming a cold account?
- Enter the following details: I'm pumped about this initiative, but I need ideas to get started. All suggestions welcome!
- Click Ask.
Now your question is ready to answer by everyone who can access the feed that it’s posted to.
As with polls, your followers have the access to answer questions that you posted to your profile page or the Chatter page. Private group members can answer questions posted to private groups. Anyone in your org can answer a question posted to a public group.
When the answers come pouring in, you can raise the visibility of the best answer by selecting it as best. The best answer is marked and copied to the top of all answers, so it’s easy to find.
In the Chatter publisher, click the Post or Question tab, click in its text field, and look for the Attach files icon . Attach up to 10 files to a post or question.
Let’s step through attaching a couple of files to see how it works.
- In the Chatter publisher, click the Question tab, then click .
- You have a few ways to select up to 10 files:
- Upload a file from your computer (1).
- Select a file from files that are already uploaded to Salesforce. Choose a category (2), such as Owned by Me, and select a file from the results on the right.
- Select files that are connected to Salesforce through a connected source (3), like Quip, Google Drive™, and SharePoint™.
- Click Add.
- Enter the Question: Is this the latest client spreadsheet?. You can add more information in the Details section to clarify your question: This is the one I’ve been using for trade show announcements. I want to be certain we’re getting everyone. Thanks in advance!
- Click Ask.
Previews of attached files appear below your post or question. Click a file to open it.
Up to three files are previewed. On the third preview, the count of remaining attached files appears. Click the third file to see full previews of the remaining files.
Now you know lots of ways to join the conversation. Next, we test your skills and then move deeper into Chatter lore.