Get Set Up for Success
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Complete the Setup Assistant.
- Define a Sales Stage.
- Install Inbox and the Salesforce mobile app.
Once you’re acquainted with the home screen and its most important features, it’s time to get started on setting up Essentials. All in all, it’ll take you about an hour to download the tools and complete the setup assistant. So grab a snack and let’s get started.
Chances are that as a small business owner, you’re short on time with a long list of things to do. So we made sure that Essentials gets right to the business of setting you up for success. On the Home page, you can find the Setup Assistant to walk you through the setup steps that matter most.
Let’s take a walkthrough of the Setup Assistant together.
Even if you’ve never called them sales stages, these steps are something you’ve used as you sell your products or services. Sales stages for opportunities are just the steps you take when you’re working an opportunity. Thanks to these personalized milestones in your sales process you are able to:
- Easily predict how much you'll close each month.
- See where your funnel is leaking and tweak what you do in those stages so that you win more opportunities.
- Plan your work so that you know how much you need to do to move something from one stage to another.
Salesforce provides you with stages to get you started, but you can change and reorder them to suit your business’s needs.
When you’re done customizing, you find your updated stages (also called Path) on the opportunity record. Here are a few pointers when it comes to setting up your sales stages:
- They have to be distinct. Make sure your stages don’t overlap with other stages. Otherwise your sales team won’t know when they’ve finished a stage!
- They should really be yours. Don’t be afraid to customize stages to make them align with your business. Your sales reps will thank you when they can feel confident that they’ve reached the next step in their path.
- Before you finalize, socialize. Check with your team to make sure everyone agrees with how you’ve named the stages. They need to be intuitive and clear to your sales reps, or they won’t be used consistently.
A CRM isn’t very helpful if you don’t have accounts or contacts to work with. With Essentials, you have two ways to add customer information.
- You can add them manually by entering in each lead, account, and contact.
- You can use the Data Import Wizard to import them into Essentials all at once. This is especially useful if you’re coming from a different CRM, or have spreadsheets with your customer information.
To use the Data Import Wizard:
- Click Import your Business Contacts in the setup assistant.
- Click Accounts and Contacts or Leads. Then drag your CSV file into the Location panel.
Essentials confirms when your import is complete and with that, you’re on to your next step.
Connect Your Email
Connecting your email to Essentials allows you to send emails directly from the platform and gather insights about your customers right from your inbox. You can also see account information right from your email. Say goodbye to switching between Salesforce and your email!
When you click Connect Your Email, you’re saying Yes! to both Salesforce Inbox and Einstein Activity Capture.
- Salesforce Inbox allows you to see your Salesforce data in your email on both your mobile device and your desktop.
- Einstein Activity Capture relates each email to a lead, contact, or opportunity.
The Setup Assistant helps you set up both features, but there are a couple things we want to point out.
Install Salesforce Inbox
At Dreamscape, Tracey and Jay are too busy working with customers and their blooms to wait for the next hot lead to land in their inbox. And that’s why Inbox immediately became one of their favorite parts of Essentials. Without having to flip back into their Salesforce accounts, they can see a customer’s last transaction and their contact history in line with their email. Ready to get set up? Watch this video which will take you through each and every step.
Invite Your Teammates
If your colleagues are going to work in Essentials with you, this is the setup step where you extend the invitation right to their inbox. Just fill in the Email, First Name, Last Name, and Profile fields and select Finish.
When you learn a new language or hobby, you don’t just stop after your first day, right? The same goes for Essentials! There are all sorts of resources in the Sales Cloud learning journey for you to level up your skills. It includes a planning section to think about just how your business can grow and develop, a customization section to make Essentials work for your business, as well as suggested trainings and next steps.
And that’s all for the Setup Assistant. All in all, plan on it taking about an hour to get up and running. Next, let’s look at how to set up Essentials for mobile.
Tracey and Jay are constantly on the move, and managing Dreamscape’s demands from a desktop isn’t always possible. With the Salesforce mobile app, they can manage their business from their phone. For example, Tracey tracks their performance while waiting for a shipment to arrive, and Jay confirms a customer order right from his smartphone. We have resources to give you an in-depth look at Salesforce for mobile, but below we have a quick guide to getting started.
Download the App
If you have an Android or iOS device that meets the minimum requirements, you can use the free, downloadable Salesforce mobile app available from the App Store® or Google Play™. You can also use the mobile browser app that runs in supported mobile browsers. This option doesn’t require installing anything.
- First things first, Tracey heads to the App Store and downloads and installs the Salesforce mobile app.
Now she’s finished installing Salesforce on her phone, and it’s her first time logging in. Let’s see how it works.
Logging in just takes a few steps.
- Start the app by tapping the Salesforce icon on your home screen.
- Log in to the app with the following:
- Your Salesforce username.
- Your Salesforce password.
- If you’re using a custom domain, then click Use Custom Domain and enter the custom web address to your Salesforce site.
- Tap Log In.
Let’s go through a quick recap of what we just did to make sure you’re ready to start your Essentials journey.
- Fill out your login information.
- Get to know your favorite features on the home screen.
- Walk through the steps in the Setup Assistant, including setting up Salesforce Inbox.
- Set up the Salesforce mobile app.
With Dreamscape plugged in with Essentials, Tracey can see the possibilities for her business to grow. She and Jay are ready to connect and collaborate to convert their customers as you see the next unit.
And with these pretty quick setup steps, downloads, and installs out of the way, you’re just about ready to get started selling with Essentials.