Create the Space Station App
In this project, you will:
- Create the Space Station Construction app.
- Create the Space Station object.
- Add fields to the Space Station custom object.
- Create a Resource custom object and fields.
- Create a Supply custom object and fields.
- Modify the Space Station page layout.
- Add a Roll-up Summary for Resources.
- Remind your users of data requirements with a validation rule.
- Automate a business process with Flow Builder.
- Create a Report for Supply costs.
- Create a Dashboard to display reports.
Back to the Drawing Board
Things are less than ideal for your company, to say the least. Your recent multi-billion dollar project to build and deploy a Space Station has gone awry. On its maiden voyage a group of troublemakers managed to disable an exhaust port, which caused irreparable damage. It was so embarrassing and a real blow to company morale.
Last week your boss called you into his cubicle and assigned you to a new task: build a new and improved Space Station. But this time, do it right. On time, on budget and with no exposed exhaust ports… troublemaker proof!
Your primary goal is to construct the Space Station with ample defenses against ne'er-do-wells. You decide to manage your project with Salesforce. This way everyone on your team can collaborate and be successful.
In this project, you learn how to build an application on the Salesforce Platform from start to finish, without writing any code. If you're new to the Salesforce Platform, the goal is to introduce you to the basics of app building. You need a free Trailhead Playground or Developer Edition org to complete this project. You can find it at the bottom of this page. Click Launch to open the Trailhead Playground in a new browser tab (login required).
You’ll build a super-awesome project management app that allows users to manage the resources and supplies used to build a Space Station. These same point-and-click skills are applicable to building almost anything on the Salesforce Platform. Here's what you'll be doing:
- Create the app and a data model for the application. This simple application requires only a few custom objects with a small number of fields.
- Modify the user interface on the browser and on the Salesforce mobile app using page layouts, compact layouts, and global actions.
- Implement business logic using formulas, validation rules, and a flow.
- Build reports and dashboards to track the status of supplies and analyze how well the company manages resources.
Let's get started. This app isn't going to build itself!
Create the Space Station Object
Before you move further with creating an app, start by creating a Space Station custom object.
- In your Trailhead Playground, click Setup .
- Click the Object Manager tab next to the Home tab.
- Click on Create dropdown at the right side and then select Custom Object.
- On the Custom Object Definition page, create the object as follows:
- Plural Label:
- Record Name:
Space Station Name
- Check the Allow Reports checkbox
- Check the Allow Search checkbox
- Click Save.
- Now create a custom tab. Click the Home tab, enter
Tabsin Quick Find and select Tabs.
- Under Custom Object Tabs, click New.
- For Object, select Space Station.
- For Tab Style, select any icon.
- Leave all defaults as is. Click Next, Next, and Save.
- Now you need to enable Feed Tracking for the Space Station object. From Setup, enter
Feedin the Quick Find and select Feed Tracking.
- Click on Space Station, and check the Enable Feed Tracking checkbox.
- Check the Space Station Name and Owner checkboxes.
[Alt text: Feed Tracking for the Space Station object.]
- Click Save.
Create the Space Station Construction app
- From Setup, enter
App Managerin the Quick Find and select App Manager.
- Click New Lightning App. Enter
Space Station Constructionas the App Name
[Alt text: App Details and Branding screen for the new lightning app.]
- Click Next.
- Under App Options, leave the default selections and click Next.
- Under Utility Items, leave as is and click Next.
- From Available Items, select Space Stations, Reports, and Dashboards and move them to Selected Items.
- Click Next.
- From Available Profiles, select System Administrator and move it to Selected Profiles.
- Click Save & Finish.
- To verify your changes, click the App Launcher, type
Spaceand select the Space Station Construction app.