Create a Simple Custom Report
Follow Along with Trail Together
Want to follow along with an expert as you work through this step? Take a look at this video, part of the Trail Together series.
(This clip starts at the 10:14 minute mark, in case you want to rewind and watch the beginning of the step again.)
Before creating the first report, you'll need to associate the role of CEO with your profile so all report data is viewable.
- Click the gear icon and select Setup.
Usersin Quick Find and select Users.
- Click Edit next to your name and change Role to CEO.
- Click Save.
Next, edit the Close Dates for all of the existing opportunities. This is done so the correct data appears when you run the current fiscal quarter report later in this project.
- Click the App Launcher and select Sales.
- Click the Opportunities tab.
- Click Recently Viewed and select the All Opportunities list view.
- Select the checkbox to the left of Opportunity Name to select all opportunities.
Note: If you don't see checkboxes next to the opportunities, it may be because you've applied opportunity record types in this org. If so, apply the following filter to the all opportunities list view: Within the filter menu, click Add Filter > Field = Opportunity Record Type, Operator = equals, Value = 0 options selected > Click Done > Click Save.
- With all opportunities selected, rollover the Close Date for one of the opportunities and click the pencil icon.
- Type in today's date.
- Select the checkbox to Update 31 selected items.
- Click Apply.
Note: All of the opportunities should now have today's date as their Close Date.
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Create a Summary Report
Time to create a new opportunity report.
- Click Reports.
- Click New Report.
- Under Recently Used on the left, click All.
- In Search Report Types, enter
Opportunitiesand select Opportunities.
- Click Start Report.
Next, you'll use the Lightning Report Builder—a visual editor for reports. The report builder screen lets you work with report fields and filters, and shows you a preview of your report with just some of the data.
- The Fields pane (1) displays fields from the selected report type, organized by folder. Find the fields you want using the Quick Find box and field type filters, then drag them into the Outline pane or double click them to add them to your report.
- The Outline pane (2) makes adding, removing and arranging columns a breeze with a simple drag and drop feature. You can also add Bucket Columns and Summary Formula Columns in the Outline pane.
- The Filters pane (3) allows you to set the view, time frame, and custom filters to limit the data shown in a report.
- The Preview (4) offers a dynamic preview that makes it easy for you to customize your report. Add, reorder, and remove columns, summary fields, formulas, groupings, and blocks. The preview shows only a limited number of records. Run the report to see all your results.
Set the scope of the report using the standard filters.
- Enable Update Preview Automatically in the upper-right of the Report Builder.
- In the Preview pane, click the arrow next to the Opportunity Owner column heading, and then select Group Rows by This Field.
- Click the Filters pane.
- Ensure Close Date is set to Current FQ.
- Click Opportunity Status and select Open and click Apply.
Change the report columns as required.
- Click the Outline pane
- Click the X next to the following column headers to remove them:
- Owner Role
- Fiscal Period
- Expected Revenue
- Created Date
- Next Step
- Lead Source
Add a summary field.
- Click the arrow next to the Amount column heading.
- Select Summarize.
- Click Sum.
Save the report as Opportunities by Rep in the Global Sales Reports folder.
- Click Save & Run, and then complete the Save Report details:
- Report Name:
Opportunities by Rep
- Click in the Report Unique Name text box to auto-populate the unique name. Don't worry, the unique name of this report isn't checked.
- Report Description:
What opportunities do reps have in the pipeline?
- Report Name:
- Click Select Folder, choose Global Sales Reports, and click Select Folder.
- Click Save.