Launch Your Trailhead Playground and Enable Communities
- Understand the business value of a customer account portal.
- Use the Customer Account Portal template to set up a bare-bones portal.
- Set up a self-registration flow to sign up new users.
- Enable Lightning Knowledge and create articles.
- Customize your portal.
Create Your Trailhead Playground
For this project, create a new Trailhead Playground. Scroll to the bottom of this page, click the down arrow next to Launch, and select Create a Trailhead Playground.
Ursa Major Needs a Customer Account Portal
Ursa Major Solar, Inc., is a Southwest-based supplier of solar components and systems. It’s gone from being a local player to a regional one, and it recently opened a second sales and distribution center in a neighboring state. Competitively priced solar components are its bread and butter, but turnkey solar solutions are the fastest growing (and most profitable) part of its business.
As it’s expanding, the service team is quickly realizing that they need to set up a customer account portal for all Ursa Major customers.
The company wants a customer account portal so customers can quickly search knowledge articles, create cases, and update personal information such as addresses and phone numbers. The company also wants an easy registration flow so customers can sign up for the portal in a few easy steps.
- Easy registration wizard to sign up and onboard customers
- Registration wizard includes data privacy settings for customers
- Give access to knowledge articles and other Salesforce objects for guest and authenticated users
- Intuitive graphic navigation in the portal
- Editable profile page for customers with address and phone information
Prerequisites and Enable Communities
Let’s enable communities in your org so you can successfully complete the rest of the project.
- From Setup, enter Communities in the Quick Find box, then select Communities Settings.
- Select Enable communities.
- Enter a unique name for your Lightning Platform domain.
- Click Check Availability to make sure that the domain is available.
- Click Save, then OK. If you see a dialog asking to open a Salesforce page in a new tab, click Open.
- Click your Chatter image (or Astro, if you haven’t gotten around to changing it) and your Trailhead Playground username.
- Click Edit.
- Assign yourself any Role you’d like (go for CEO...why not?).
- Click Save.
Now you’re ready to dive into the project!