Find Information and Keep Work Organized
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Find the right information by searching in Slack.
- Access important messages and files quickly.
- Keep relevant conversations organized in one place.
- Make it easy for everyone to get up to speed in a channel.
- Bring your teammates together.
Search for Information
Finding the right information is key to working smarter and faster, and being more productive.
In Slack, you can quickly find messages, files, channels, and people, all in one search. Watch the video to learn more.
Search for a topic in the search field and then add search modifiers to narrow your results. For example, add
from: in front of a display name to search for information shared by someone specific.
Access Messages and Files You Use Most
You can save messages and files you often reference so that they’re easy to access. Hover over a message you’d like to save and click the .
Let’s say a teammate shares a report that you’ll need to revisit often as part of an upcoming project. Instead of repeatedly searching for the file, you can save it and access it quickly from the Saved items section in your sidebar.
Now you should feel confident to search and find information you need in Slack. Next you learn how to keep information and work organized with channels.
Work in One Place
Whether you’re kicking off a new project or your team needs a place for ongoing discussion on a topic, you can create channels to keep relevant conversations organized. Watch the video to learn more.
Create a Channel
Say you’re launching a new project. Create a channel to keep related information in one place.
- Click the + next to Channels in your left sidebar and select Create a channel.
- Enter a channel name. If you see the option to choose a channel prefix, you can select one from the dropdown menu. For example, use the prefix project- for a channel dedicated to a project so the channel is easy to search for and its purpose is clear.
- Add a description to let others know what the channel is about.
- When you’re ready, click Create.
Provide Context for Your Team
Make it easy for everyone to get up to speed by adding key information to channels.
Pin a Message
You can add details for a project launch and pin the message so anyone who joins the channel can easily reference it.
- Hover over the message you’d like to pin.
- Click .
- Select Pin to channel.
Bring Your Teammates Together
Bringing the right people together in channels gives the team a shared view of the work being done.
When you’re ready to get to work with your teammates on a project, add them to the channel.
You’re ready to keep work organized with channels and give teammates the context they need on their way in. Next you learn how to focus on what matters to you.