Get Started with Salesforce DMP
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Describe a data management platform (DMP).
- Explain why Salesforce DMP is important for advertising.
- List the sources Salesforce DMP uses to capture data.
We’re in the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and people are more connected than ever before. Every customer is connected - with smart, always-on devices and real time interactions. Customers expect your business to be just as smart, always-on, and as connected as they are.
The Fourth Industrial Revolution is creating a divide between companies and their customers. Many businesses lack the capabilities to deliver the personalized, connected experience that their customers want — Salesforce DMP can help.
A little more than a decade ago, advertising happened primarily on TV and radio. It has expanded since then, and the advertising landscape has changed as a result. Today, businesses use digital advertising to reach more consumers in more places, which means they have lots of data to collect and organize. These businesses always want to improve the ways they find and use data, so they can connect with their consumers better than ever before.
Some businesses do this with a data management platform (DMP). A DMP:
- Collects, stores, manages, and analyzes pseudonymous consumer data from many digital sources. Pseudonymous data is connected to a pseudonym that represents a person but does not directly identify them, like a cookie or device ID.
- Organizes consumer profiles into data-based categories called audience segments—for example: women over 35 who buy running shoes on mobile apps.
- Exchanges information with customer relationship management (CRM) platforms—like Salesforce—to help businesses understand audience segments even better.
- Measures advertising results so businesses can improve how they target specific audience segments.
- Sits at the heart of the marketing hub, personalizing digital advertising across many channels, like browsers, websites, applications, and more.
Businesses that use DMPs see their marketing ROI grow because this data helps their advertising reach:
- The right consumers
- In the right places
- At the right times
We’re talking awesome data resources. The kinds that require super-smart skills -- like those of Sarah, a mathematician who loves cats:
...only businesses don’t have to do all the math themselves—they just need a great DMP.
Now that you know what a DMP is, let’s talk about Salesforce DMP. Salesforce DMP is part of the digital advertising and data section of Marketing Cloud. It takes marketing to new heights by capturing, unifying, and activating data to strengthen consumer relationships across every touchpoint.
Hold up. What’s a touchpoint?
And consumer touchpoints are everywhere.
Connecting with all kinds of touchpoints is one thing that makes Salesforce DMP so special. Salesforce customers are obsessed with consumers and their experiences. Being consumer-obsessed means collecting and analyzing data to get to know consumers better. That’s why, when it comes to marketing, our customers are also data-obsessed. We think it’s exciting that our DMP gathers more data from more devices and places than other DMPs.
Salesforce DMP gathers data from:
- Web and mobile sites
- Digital media—like news websites and blogs
- CRM—like Salesforce
- E-commerce and point of sale (POS)—register systems like Clover, Square, SuitePOS for Salesforce, and more
- Emerging marketing channels—over-the-top television (OTT), like Smart TV and Roku
- Beacon and location devices—GPS, wearable technology, the Internet of Things (IoT)
In short, Salesforce DMP:
- Uses data from all kinds of touchpoints to get more accurate views of key consumers—noting their behaviors, interests, and locations.
- Connects with key consumers through relevant digital advertising, wherever they go.
Remember how we said businesses that use DMPs see their marketing ROI grow because of all the data they have access to? With Salesforce DMP, businesses see even more results—because we use more and different kinds of data and resources.
DMPs connect with:
Salesforce DMP connects with:
And this is awesome because:
|The right consumers...
||We reach consumers more directly and build more personalized journeys.
|In the right places...
||Through more touchpoints...
||We locate and adjust for new or previously unknown audience segments in more places.
|At the right times.
||Throughout the consumer journey...
||We use data science to capture and analyze complete customer journeys, so we reach key consumers when they’re most likely to engage.
With greater control of all kinds of data, gathered in one place, businesses use relevant information to power smarter experiences for their consumers.
Next, let’s take a closer look at what’s inside Salesforce DMP.
- Video: Salesforce DMP Demo