Examine an Integration Use Case
After completing this unit, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the challenge of keeping sales leads in Salesforce in sync with lead notifications in Microsoft Teams.
- Explain how to use MuleSoft Composer to sync sales leads in Salesforce with lead notifications in Microsoft Teams.
- Prepare to create a flow.
Before You Start
This module builds on MuleSoft Composer Installation and Configuration, so make sure you've completed it before you continue. Recall from that module, you need to have the MuleSoft Composer User permission set if you want to build and run integration flows.
In this module, we assume you’re an authorized MuleSoft Composer user. If you’re not a MuleSoft Composer user, that’s OK. Read along to learn how they perform the steps. Don’t try to follow the steps in a Trailhead Playground, because MuleSoft Composer isn't available in the Trailhead Playground.
In this unit, you step into the role of admin for Northern Trail Outfitters (NTO), an outdoor and recreational gear retailer. First, you examine an integration challenge faced by NTO, and then you learn about a MuleSoft Composer integration solution. Finally, you learn how to prepare to create your flow.
Let’s take a look at an integration challenge NTO is facing. Your sales team at NTO manages and maintains sales leads in the NTO org’s Sales Cloud. For best customer relationship management, the team also collaborates with other stakeholders such as product, engineering, operations, and technical support teams throughout each stage of the sales process, using Microsoft Teams.
Currently, the sales team is performing these tasks manually. Every time there is a new or updated lead, a sales rep first creates or updates the lead in Salesforce. Then depending on whether the lead is a partner referral or not, the rep sends a message with relevant customer details to either the partner sales or direct sales channel. This process is time-consuming and highly error-prone, so the team wants to automate it.
As a solution, you need to automate the integration between the NTO org’s Sales Cloud and Microsoft Teams in order to achieve near real-time integration. To do this, you use MuleSoft Composer to create an integration flow that automatically syncs the creation or update of sales leads in Sales Cloud with lead notifications in Microsoft Teams. Specifically, the flow must perform the following tasks.
- Find any new or updated lead in the NTO org’s Sales Cloud.
- Evaluate if the lead source is “Partner Referral.”
- If it is, send a message with customer details to the Partner Sales channel.
- If it isn’t, send a message with customer details to the Direct Sales channel.
To implement the solution using MuleSoft Composer, you need to perform these flow creation tasks.
- Prepare to create a flow.
- Design and test a flow.
- Activate a flow.
- Monitor and troubleshoot a flow.
You learn how to perform these tasks in the rest of this module.
Prepare to Create a Flow
Ready to get started?
First, you need to gather all required information about the systems and assets your flow is going to use. The following table describes the systems the flow needs to connect to and the information you need to have for those systems.
As a best practice, ensure the NTO org has a sandbox org you can connect to when you design and test your flows. Similarly, ensure you have a test Microsoft Teams team and associated channels to test your lead notifications.
NTO’s Sales Cloud
Next, you learn about the prerequisites for your Microsoft Teams environment.
Prerequisites for the Microsoft Teams Environment
To send lead notifications to the appropriate channels, you must have a team and associated channels in Microsoft Teams. Follow these steps to create a team and two associated channels using Microsoft Teams.
- Log in to Microsoft Teams using your email address and password.
- Click Join or create a team.
- Click Create team and then click From scratch.
- Click Private.
NTO Salesas the name of your team, and then click Create.
- Optionally, add members to the NTO Sales team.
- Click the ellipsis icon next to NTO Sales and then click Add channel.
Direct Salesas the channel, and then click Add.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to add the Partner Sales channel. Your team and associated channels should look like this.
Also, when you create a connection to your Microsoft Teams team using MuleSoft Composer, be ready to grant MuleSoft Composer the following permissions.
- Send channel messages.
- Read the names and descriptions of teams.
- Read the names and descriptions of channels.
- Maintain access to data you have given it access to.
- View your basic profile.
You’ve taken the first steps to prepare to create your flow with MuleSoft Composer. In the next unit, you learn how to design and test your flow.