Build a Custom Home Page for Lightning Experience
Yes, Virginia, You Can Customize Your Lightning Experience Home Page
You can create a custom Home page in a few different ways: Create it from scratch using a template, clone it from another custom Home page, or edit a page from the Home tab in a Lightning app.
To edit an existing page, you can click from the Home page, and then select Edit Page to create a copy of the current page to edit. If a customized page exists and is active, selecting Edit Page opens that page to edit.
We’re going to create a Home page from scratch.
Create a Custom Home Page for Lightning Experience
We’ll tweak the position of the components on the standard Home page layout slightly to give you an idea of what’s possible.
Let’s get started!
- From Setup, enter
App Builderin the Quick Find box, then click Lightning App Builder.
- Click New, select Home Page, then click Next.
- Step through the wizard and name the page
New Home Page, select the Standard Home Page template, and then click Done.
An empty Home page opens, ready for you to build it. The components pane contains all the standard components available for a Home page, plus any custom components you have installed in your org.
- Drag the Assistant component to the top-right region.
- Drag Performance to the top-left region.
- Add Today’s Events to the lower left region and add Key Deals to the lower right region.
- Add Today’s Tasks above the Assistant.
- Click Save. But wait, what’s this? There’s more? Yes, there is. Saving the page isn’t enough to get it out to your users. Lightning pages must be activated before your users can see them. Normally, if you aren’t done with your page, or aren’t ready to make it public, you can click Not Yet here to save the page and return to the App Builder. But that’s not us. We’re bold! We’re done with our page and want to give it to our users right now!
- Click Activate, and we’ll do just that.
If you saved previously and didn’t activate the page, you can click the Activation button in the toolbar to be ready for the next section.
Roll Out Your Custom Home Page to Your Lightning Experience Users
When activating a Home page, you have three different options: You can make your page the default for everyone in the org, the default for an app, or assign it to one or more app and profile combinations, giving your users access to a page designed just for their role.
Let’s assign this home page to the System Administrator profile so we can go look at it afterward.
- Click App and Profile, then click Assign to Apps and Profiles.
- Select the Sales app, then click Next.
- Scroll down the list of profiles and select System Administrator, then click Next.
- Review the assignment, and then click Save.
Look at Your Handiwork
Just for reference, here’s an example of the standard default Home page. Think of this as the “before” in this Home page makeover.
Now, let’s compare it to what we did.
- Navigate to the Home page of the Sales app in Lightning Experience.
Here’s what it looks like now. It’s not a whole lot different than before, but you can see that some components are in new places.
- Bask in the glory of your newfound page customization skills.